Steering for 68 9.5 Evinrude outboard

cusoak

Seaman
I want to make my 1968 9.5 motor remote steering. I have the bracket that attaches to the motor so that the a cable and pulley set up can be used..
I want to also only have the cables run down just one side of the boat.
So I am looking for some help with how and where the cables will be run and placed.
A sketch would be nice also.
Thanks Jeff

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
When I rigged my "box console" I ran both the cables out to the side edged of the boat out of my steering box console

I installed (bolted) 2 pulleys on the right side edge of the boat to turn the cables 90 degrees towards the back .

The cables were passed inside in a 1.5- 2 inch ​ piece of black water tube attached along the edge with metal clips This prevented the cables from being snagged .

In the back... on the right "driver" side... two more pulleys bolted on the edge of the boat with one cable going to the motor pulley & back again to the right side edge of the boat attached to a tension springs.

The other cable went across to the left side of the boat around another pulley back to the engine pulley and over to the left side of the boat tension spring .

Ran my 50 Classic for years and no problem

F_R

Supreme Mariner
First, you have to have a remote control adapter kit for the motor. It is quite complex, and it is necessary if you want to run with remote controls and steering.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Remote Control Adapter kit----

Attachments

• photo242212.jpg
    photo242212.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 5

cusoak

Seaman
Not I have another question. The mounting bracket #1 in the drawing looks just like the one I have. Mine only is the bracket itself nothing else to do with shifting., as I only want to hook up a steering wheel.
I now have looked at the bracket with the motor and I do not have holes on both sides of to bolt the bracket to. So my question is this can this bracket be used only to steer with or does it have to be hooked up to shift the motor also . Or is there some other way of hooking up steering to this motor. Are there any instructions on how to install the assembly anywhere.
Jeff

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
The portable 9? was very compact and had tight control grouping (including shifter) at or near the front of the motor. OMC did not include a steering bracket, but they did engineer a kit which F_R displayed above. The kit bolted the steering bracket to the motor. The kit also included a different shift lever to replace the standard little one that you flip up or down, to a longer one that is reoriented and is more of a fore-aft motion for shifting (more compatible with a cable-operated remote shift). The steering bracket also added a cable stop in the form of a cast arm. See pictures below.

Last time I checked, BRP still had the old kits in stock. Having more hardware and parts than a normal remote control attachment at the motor, the kit is more expensive as it is more elaborate. As I recall it was about $50 in today?s money.
My 9? is a typical one without the remote control kit, and I don?t see the holes where I would expect to mount the kit. Perhaps they need to be drilled. At least the new kit would come with instructions (you would think).

Below are a couple of pictures of a 9? with the OMC remote control adapter kit installed. The Evinrude pic is courtesy of Leroy?s Ramblings page while the Johnson pic is from the 71 brochure showing the cables as installed.
9_5_controls.jpg

71remote9.5.jpg