Evinrude 150 bogs down off of Idle

woode12

Cadet
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I have an 1992 Evinrude 150. It starts and runs great in the driveway. When I put it in the water under load it bogs down and won't go faster then 6mph at full throttle and won't rev above 1200RPMs I have 110 PSI of compression on all cylinders. I replaced the plugs, pickup sensor {eye}, power pack, cleaned the carbs and replaced the spaghetti gaskets {they have fixed jets so no adjustment can be made}. New gas and oil, new primer bulb. Prop spins free in neutral and locks when in gear and you can turn the motor over if you remove the plugs. So I do not think it is the hub on the prop I am at a loss as to what the problem is. Some suggest that it might be a stator problem. [/FONT]I checked the 6 wire plug that goes into the power pack. I do not have a DVA meter nor do I know or understand how to make one. So I used the chart from this web site (http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcoisignition.html) and checked with the ohms meter. The Orange to Orange/Black read 98.5 OHMS the spec is 50 to 60 OHMS the other sets of wires are within spec. Because of the high reading these that mean I have a bad stator?[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif] If any of you can give your advice/opinion, it would be greatly appreciated.[/FONT]
Thanks,
Michael

racerone

Supreme Mariner
To me it only sounds good to you running on the hose.----It will sound nice on 3 of 6 cylinders.------So test for spark that jumps a gap of 3/8" or more on all leads.-------Checked the shift interrupt switch if equipped with that item ?

woode12

Cadet
I did the spark jump test, just forgot to say it in the post. It jumps about 7/16 or so.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
I wouldnt be too focused on that ohmn reading yet.
Have you pulled the plugs and seen if any a different colours than others?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Also have you checked that your timing is advancing? SOmetimes the linkages can fall off or get gunked up so that the advancing of the timing doesnt occur much so therefore the rpm dont go up.
Hows it idle and start in the water?

woode12

Cadet
Yes I pulled the plugs they are all burning about the same. The timing is advancing. It starts and idles fine at the dock. It will shift into gear smoothly and start moving up until it hit 1200rpms and then boggs down and won't go over 1200 rpm or 6 mph. I took the cowling cover off and the cover over top of the carbs. All the carbs are getting fuel and there is no difference running it with the cover over the carb or not on. That is why I am thinking electrical problem.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Use a spark tester or timing light and see what happens over 1200.
Perhaps you have a short in the wiring that is happening as the timing advances and rubs against the crankcase

woode12

Cadet
Since I did not get any answers I want and ordered a stator. I have checked all the things people have said to check. I think it boils down to the stator or fuel pump. The timing is advancing properly it might not be set exactly be its close. I am not comfortable with the high ohms reading on the stator. I was getting 98.5 ohms and the spec 50 so it double what it supposed to be. I see it this way If the stator is not putting out the power to the power pack the pack won't put out the power to the coils. I am not an electoral guy so i can be wrong. I will take any advice I can get.

woode12

Cadet
OK it was NOT the stator. I got the same thing as before. Looking at the paperwork from the pervious owner it had a new fuel pump put on in Nov 2014 the non VRO type. So I have to mix my oil and gas. It sounds like it wants to go but just can't. Did the sparkliest and I have good spark. There are no fraded wires anywhere. The timing linkage moves without a problem. Really frustrated!!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
GROUND the ht wires so the plugs arent connected to the ignition. Take out all sparkplugs.
Turn engine over using a wire jumped to the solenoid, do you see fuel spray out of all cylinders.
If so check timing, if not investigate fuel system and crankcase vacuum

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Did you check shift switch as Racer suggested????? It kills one side when you shift...

woode12

Cadet
Ok I pulled the plugs and 5 of them are burning nice black/brown and 1 of the is white with water. Is that my whole problem? Will it run on 5 cylinders? Is motor toast? Is there anything I can do shot of total rebuild?

woode12

Cadet
Standing behind the motor looking towards the front of the boat its the top right hand plug. Not sure what number that is.

Bwil

Cadet
I currently have same issue on my 99 90hp Johnson and hope there is resolution here. I would suggest putting a gauge after pump before carbs to check pressure or use inline electric pump (temporarily to test with known good pressure)

woode12

Cadet
I do not have a fuel pressure gage. It got a new fuel pump put on in 2014 from the previous owner.