Fuel and Oil Selection for Outboards

I am needing direction on how to select the correct gearcase oil and fuel oil for proper fuel ratios.

I have a 1973 85hp Evinrude outboard. The model number is 85393M

I cant seem to locate the info. If anyone can suggest a viable resource I would be greatly appreciative!

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
The fuel is 50:1 . Regular gasoline and tcw3 outboard 2 stroke oil which is near enough 1 pint oil in 6 gallons of gasoline

​Use Hi Vis gear lube or a similar outboard gear oil. The gear case capacity is 27.9 oz

You can obtain an owners and workshop manuals from Ken Cook, aka outboardbooks.com, https://www.outboardbooks.com/manual/85393/

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Unless you live in the middle of a desert, TC-W3 outboard oil is available almost everywhere. Everybody has their favorite brand, but look for the TC-W3 certification by NMMA and you will be fine.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Though all you say is true F R he could if he wished use evinrude xd-100 and nowhere on that jug will you find tcw3.Though they say on the brp site that xd100 surpasses tcw3 it is not on the jug atall.Maybe being evinrude branded they skipped certification as an extra cost and unnecessary?And yes it is good for premix as well as injected and dfi.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Use a brand name oil and a brand name fuel....(Shell,Exxon,BP, etc)

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
While the Bombardier XD100 oil is a premium oil, it is overkill for your 73 engine. Supposed to be used in the latest Bombardier ETECH engines. Bombardier makes a pair of great oils which will work just fine in your engine. The XD30 and XD50 oil lines. Both are rated TCWIII and will provide you many miles of economical boating.

82rude

Rear Admiral
xd-100 can be used in any motor.i was just making a point that there are totally acceptable oils out there that don't have tcw3 slapped all over the jug .But your correct though, xd100 is overkill for that old motor.Brp also has a mass market oil you can get at wallyworld and the likes .Evinrude/Johnson 2 stoke premium marine oil.It is engineered for pre 2004 platforms .

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
I would not use any "marine" grade two stroke oil which does not have the TCWIII rating. For instance, the Merc two-stroke Optimax oil is not TCWIII rated.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Sorry I have to believe evinrude over anybody else when it comes to what to use in an evinrude outboard.If they say that their xd100 is ok to use in older outboards who am I to argue whether it has tcw3 on the bottle or not which it doesn't.Again the op can use any oil he wants as long as its tcw3 rated ,no argument there what so ever.Im just pointing out that e rude has a premium oil that does not say tcw3 rated on the bottle but they specifically state that it can be premixed in older outboards.Cost effective for a 73 motor,probably not, but its still an option if the person wants the ultimate in protection.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
xd 100 is expensive but helps to clean the innards (decarb) . no smell and no smoke

I use it on my 9.5hp kicker and only burn about 5 gallons of gas to troll and as back up to my 75 ETEC

Thanks so much for the responses everyone. I think a certified product is usually a safe choice. Im sure its a given but just so I cover "my ass", is it safe to assume that I should be using the premium fuel options since I will be using a mixed fuel?

82rude

Rear Admiral
I use regular gas only and have for years as that's what the mfg says to use.My motor is a 60 etec.With that 85 horse I don't expect gas will sit long in your tank :joyous:

I use regular gas only and have for years as that's what the mfg says to use.My motor is a 60 etec.With that 85 horse I don't expect gas will sit long in your tank :joyous:
I'd say not... It will burn some fuel for sure. Besides, Ive seen similar setups (boat and motor) and i think she'll top at least 40. Im itching to get it out and see! The first weekend will be a money pit!!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
About that certification, NMMA is the certifying agency. Various oil companies submit their oil for testing, and if it passes it gets the certification and the right to use the NMMA logo on the container. By using oils with the logo, you know it is at least good enough to pass the NMMA tests.

If the oil does not bear the logo, or gives some sort of double-talk like "for use where TC-W3 is specified" but without the logo, it means that the oil flunked the test OR simply was not submitted for testing. I don't know about BRP, but I suspect they did not submit it, or maybe they are just rebelling and claim theirs is better than required. I suspect the latter.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It probably exceeds the TCW-3 spec by quite a margin, but since it really was designed for the Ficht, E-tec, and probably Mercury Optimax, maybe BRP felt it was a waste getting it certified.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The test isn't very hard to pass, but it does cost a great deal of money to have the NMMA cert and logo on the container. The outboard companies that market oil for their outboards can use whatever they want to achieve the desired results and not pay the royalty, most are high end synthetics that would pass easily.