early 90s johnson 225hp, fuel filters, how many?

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
Hi

My friend has a johnson 225hp outboard, maybe 1994.

on a used boat, he has a fuel/water separator filter in the boat (shaped like a 1lb coffee can).

He also had an inline filter under the cowl. He has replaced this inline filter with one from napa, I do not know the part #.

We were wondering normally do these motors run both the larger "can" fuel water separator, and an inline filter? What is the ideal setup

Also, I personally am scared of a random filter from napa. Is it likely to develop issues because this is not the designed fuel filter for this use, or is that no big deal?

Thanks for any help. I remember a different friend adding his own inline filters in addition to whatever he had, in the end he had fuel restriction issues of some sort I recall. This is what brought me to ask

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The filter he replaced from NAPA should be a good one they handle sierra marine products.

JonBrown

Seaman
Sierra makes the appropriate filter (available on iboats) although the only difference I have seen is that the paint on the filter goes to the top by the seal. If it shows metal it will rust quickly in salt applications. I do like to see a water separator on all marine engines and a simple clear plastic filter under the cowl, So you can see the flow if you have issues in the water. A metal filter under the cowl gets xtreme hot and cold causing condensation and finally rusts in any environment then it pollutes the system with rust particles.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
the napa inline filter under the cowl is a metal one, not sierra I dont think. It is new.

The other, water seperator canister like filter is Sierra, also new, but the housing on it is rusted inside the threads. We bypassed it today for test purposes got the motor running.

So correct me if I am wrong but the water separator filter should be fixed (replace the rusted housing/filter).

and the inline "napa unknown" filter is probably fine for now but a clear plastic one is prefered, maybe next season? it is a trailered saltwater boat.

JonBrown

Seaman
If the housing of the water seperator is rusty, then that is probably ok. The filter should be new and in use. The fuel tanks do condensate. The metal engine filter should go. It will break down quickly. A simple clear plastic one is recommended. The metal will condensate as it cools and put small amounts of water in the system. This is life threatening to a HPDI engine. Carb engines will stick because of this.