1986 evinrude 70 hp VRO pump bad

clevecan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mod# E70TLC0S. 1986 evinrude, 70hp
Ser# J0557162
My VRO fuel pump must be weak or bad, Can I replace it with normal Fuel pump? The small one.
If so any part# for what I will need to replace the VRO pump.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What happens when you operate the manual pump ???-------Simple replacement is to order the fuel pump for an 83 model.---------Just re-arrange some hoses to fit that.------------Or take the VRO pump apart to verify that it is bad.

clevecan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I pump the fuel bulb it gets tight as it should. Then once I run it a few min. It dies and the bulb is empty. I can pump up the bulb and it starts fine but runs out of fuel in bulb.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have you checked and test run the motor with a different " known to be good " tank and hose ?

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
The vent on the tank might not be venting properly?

clevecan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have you checked and test run the motor with a different " known to be good " tank and hose ?

No sir, I will try another tank and replace the fuel line and filter. Not much line so easy change.
Thank you all for the reply's

fhhuber

Lieutenant
If its sucking the priming bulb "flat"... the pump is working. (fuel side anyway) Debris in the tank plugging the pickup can cause this. (or just not fully connecting to the tank) Or the tank not venting correctly.
Just remove the cap while the bulb is flat... if you hear air rush in you got a vent problem. I like quick easy tests that cost nothing.

If the fuel line is emptying out but the bulb is not collapsing... you have a leak or the valves in the fuel pump aren't operating correctly. (still not definitive bad pump)

It won't help to change the pump if its a fuel hose leak or a plugged fuel pickup.

There is a rebuild kit for the VRO. Some VRO's you can get at the valves and some they are sealed in a manner you can't.
Before attempting a VRO rebuild, check the pump condition. If the plastic is cracking its done.

clevecan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I replaced fuel line,primer bulb, fuel filter, new gas, cleaned tank, even took gas cap off tank while running the motor. Once I pump bulb it gets hard once carbs fill, then it runs till carbs empty then shuts off. So I am thinking fuel pump.