Mix oil with gas or use the seperate oil tank on 1990-91 Evinrude VRO??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 40 HP Evinrude VRO that I was told is from 1990 or 1991. Particulars are linked below to another thread here.

I would like to get this motor gassed up but have three questions before I start.

There is a separate tank for oil that came with the motor but it is busted. The guy who fixed the motor says I can stick a bolt in its tube to plug it and just add the oil to the gas.

Is he right?

If so, what type of oil do I use and at what ratio to the gas?

I have two 6 gallon gas tanks for the boat. How much oil do I put in these if full of gas?

Thanks again for your help. I can wait to get this in the water.

Here is the thread on my particular outboard http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...e-40-hp-engine

Attachments

• photo219820.jpg
    photo219820.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

fhhuber

Lieutenant
VRO is great while it works...

But when it fails, the alarm will go off just in time to tell you that you put a con rod through the block.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
VRO, when hooked up correctly will have one or more alarms to indicate a problem with oil injection...

I've talked to a few people who got towed in from the middle of the lake who said the alarm started and the engine blew just about the same time.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer
What type of alarm? My boat does not have gauges. Just the motor, steering and two tanks.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
should be an alarm .... Look up your engine's manual for where it is mounted.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer
VRO is great while it works...

But when it fails, the alarm will go off just in time to tell you that you put a con rod through the block.

I was out on the water and think I threw a rod. :(

Engine will not turn over. Prop rotates fine but the manual pull start wont budge after 1/2 turn.

How can I tell if I threw a rod?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Take the lower unit off and see if the motor turns then. The lower unit is the weak spot on them, if you threw a rod usually there is a hole in the block.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yes you can premix gas like others said. Any TCW3 oil will work. And it's mixed 50:1 . How much oil you put in the 6 gallon tank will only help you the first time. Cause if you need to add 3.5 gallons to the tank you need to do you math for that partial tank. Best thing to do is get you a mixing bottle or cut. It has lines for the number of gallons on it and the ratio your mixing at. So iF your mixing just one gallon fill oil to the 1 liNE in the 50:1 column. If your adding 5 gallons fill to the 5 line. Etc.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Take the lower unit off and see if the motor turns then. The lower unit is the weak spot on them, if you threw a rod usually there is a hole in the block.

Not sure of the exact year of my friends 50hp but its an early vro version and he had 3 broken main shafts in a row! I assume they had a defective batch of shafts.We use to poke fun his motor without mercy.I even made up a song about it .DO a jig to vro vro it dont want to go!vro vro oh no!

fhhuber

Lieutenant
I do all my gas mixing in a 5 gallon gas can.
from empty can, add the oil then the gas, Its mixed pretty well by the time the can is full.
Then pour that into the boat's tank.
Repeat till full.

You don't know how much gas is already in the tank accurately enough to add oil then gas to the boat's tank.
If you fill the tank then add oil you may not have room for the oil
But mixing in the 5 gallon gas can you know you have the same mix every time. The gas that doesn't fit in the boat's tank can sit for a while in the can until there is room for it in the boat's tank.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Well, it may be a little late for you, but to properly disconnect the VRO portion of the fuel pump is very simple.

1 - unplug the 3 or 4 wire pigtail that comes off the fuel pump.
2 - plug the oil inlet either with a cap at the inlet or a bolt in the oil inlet hose near the fuel pump..use a clamp too.
3 - find the low-oil wires coming from the oil reservoir ...follow it to the two wire pigtail at the engine and disconnect it...that's it

use 2.6 oz of TCW3 per gallon of gas...using more oil is not going to hurt things. for a 6 gallon tank you would need 15.6 oz....round up to 16oz and you'll be fine.

re: alarm

ok you NEED to have a working alarm.
1 - when you first turn on the ignition key to the ON position the horn should beep...that tells you the horn is at least making a noise.
2 - the temp sensors should work. You can test the wiring by disconnecting the tan wire going to them and grounding them with the key in the ON position...the horn should sound until you break the ground. You can test the temp sensor by testing continuity between the middle of the sensor to its tan wire whilst in hot to boiling water...when the water is near boiling continuity should appear. The idea is that horn will sound when you've reached the overheat condition. The horn will be a constant blaring and wont stop until the head temp comes down.
3 - VRO - no-oil warning (not applicable if you undid the pigtail) horn will sound if the electronics has counted a predetermined number of tach pulses without a reset...thus assumes you have a no-oil going to the pump. The horn is pulsing sound that is rapid and changes speed as throttle is upped.
4- VRO -low-oil warning (not applicable if you removed the oil-reservoir) horn will sound when you've used up most of your oil and is down to 1/4 tank. The horn sound will be an alternating beep like once every 20 seconds or so.

for some light reading on the VRO
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...tle-insight-into-the-oil-side-of-the-vro2-oms

Qrzed

Seaman Apprentice
Recently purchased 74 Starcraft with 60 hp Johnson vro has been disconnected for how long not sure motor runs fine out of water, should I leave it be or invest in getting the vro fixed

Attachments

• photo282339.jpg
    photo282339.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.