1974 Johnson 115 firing trouble.

Mikey75

Cadet
I have a 1974 Johnson 115 that I cannot get to fire but on one cylinder. I replaced the power pack and nothing changed. All my coils are good. I bought a additional motor for parts. I pulled the stator off of the parts motor and put it on the motor that's on my boat. I still have spark I one cylinder only but with the new stator I get fire on a different cylinder than with the old stator!!

The old stator fires the bottom cylinder on the right facing the back of the motor. The stator off of the parts motor fires the bottom cylinder on the left.

Can anyone give me any ideas where to look or what to check next? Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The timer base also controls part of the ignition (spark) system. If you've got a second timer base on your spare engine, it's work trying.

Mikey75

Cadet
That was what I was thinking of doing next. I've took it to one mechanic who gave up on it. I wish I had someone close and reasonable to look at it.

Mikey75

Cadet
I swapped the trigger from the parts motor and now I have no fire at all. Going to try another stator on it from a friend and see if it works. Also ordered a adapter to test Dva voltage. Maybe I can get this issue sorted out!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The motor needs to be cranking a minimum of 200 rpm to make a spark. Related to that is the stator must create enough voltage at cranking speed. So maybe both of your used stators are no good. OR maybe it isn't cranking fast enough. Are you checking the spark with the plugs in or out? It will crank faster with them out--an important clue.

Mikey75

Cadet
I haven't checked spark with the plugs out. I'm confident it's cranking fast enough. Just picked up a stator that I know is good. I'm going to put it on and see what happens. I also ordered a Dva attachment for my meter so I can see if the voltage is up to spec. Hopefully I can determine the cause of the issue and get it resolved.

Mikey75

Cadet
Both the stator and power pack where bad. I've replaced both and its firing good now. I got the Dva tester in today but I already had my problem solved so I haven't used it. I'll have it for later though.

Mikey75

Cadet
I've got the firing problem solved. Now I have a flooding problem. The motor will hit a couple of times and then flood out. I've cleaned carbs (they have new rebuild kits in them) replaced the fuel pump, replaced the reed valves, and it still floods. I believe I have enough spark. If the dva readings are inline, will that mean that it's getting enough spark? Thanks for all the help.

Mikey75

Cadet
Does spark jump a gap of 1/2" on each lead?---Yes or no.

I'm not sure exactly what you are meaning. The only way I have tested it is with a spark tester. The spark is bright and fast. Are you asking if the spark will jump a 1/2 inch from the plug wire?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Good spark as per a factory manual is able to jump a gap of 1/2" or even more.----That is the proper test.

Mikey75

Cadet
Spark is good. I'm 98% sure it is out of time. Does anyone have any information on timing this motor? That's one area I am totally lost in.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You said that the carbs were "cleaned." Usually we look to see if the owner "overhauled" the carbs. This means complete disassembly, cleaning and installation of new carb gaskets. This would also include replacement of the needle/seat assembly-which is key to controlling flooding.

Mikey75

Cadet
Yes the carbs have been completely overhauled. New kits put in both. The motor is backfiring bad and flooding.