2005 Johnson (Suzuki powerhead) 140 hp 4-stroke

musky_guy

Recruit
This motor has been great since I bought it new, but I noticed small amounts of gasoline in the water when ​putting the rig in the water last season, or when the boat sat at a dock for a significant amount of time.

The motor ran fine all year, but when I winterized it last November . . . I had cloudy lower unit gear lube for the first time ever.

I'm not ultra mechanical. I know I need to change the fuel filter this spring. My brother-in-law recently wondered out loud "Could it be a head gasket?"

I am not sure what to think at this point, but am won​dering if anyone in this forum has experienced this phenomenon . . . or otherwise knows what might be going on?

Much obliged in Minnesota (and still looking at snow on the ground);

--Mike

musky_guy

Recruit
That's good to hear. My initial thought was there's no way for gas to leak into the gear crankcase from above, but I started to doubt it . . . since the two issues occurred kind of simultaneously.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Cloudy oil, get your gearcase pressure tested and sealed. Will cost some money, but if you are in the right position you can do it yourself. It willl take some time and patients, but the outcome will be worth it! As for the fuel, check the lines, maybe a gasket is bad? Line is leaky or cracked? That is pretty simple stuff.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Are you reusing the plastic crush gaskets when you check or service the lower unit.If you do that could be your problem for cloudy gear oil as their a one time use item.Their cheap so get a bunch and only use once.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I will change them out. My bad. Thank you very much.

Its just one of a few possibilities but the cheapest and sometimes most over looked.Fill up with fresh gear oil ,change washers ,use for a week and check oil again .If good you golden if not look deeper ,seals,etc.Ididnt know either till I joined this fountain of info,lol.

Last edited:

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Its just one of a few possibilities but the cheapest and sometimes most over looked.Fill up with fresh gear oil ,change washers ,use for a week and check oil again .If good you golden if not look deeper ,seals,etc.Ididnt know either till I joined this fountain of info,lol.

I find that the ones at HD are much better quality and will last longer! There only 59c to! There nice thick rubber