Johnson seahorse starter issues

jetajockey

Recruit
Hey everyone. I have a late 70s maybe early 80s 25 seahorse that is having starter problems. I tried 2 different batteries and it's still the same. Checked all connections and made sure they were tight. Do I need to order a new starter? I attached a video. Thanks in advance!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Possibly. Can't say without further inspection and testing. You say you checked the connections and they are tight. That's fine, but did you actually take them apart and clean everything shiny bright? Are the cables in good condition, no bulging or green areas? Does your motor have a cable plug on the front? If so, are the pins and sockets in it clean, not corroded?

Don't condemn the starter till proven guilty.

jetajockey

Recruit
Possibly. Can't say without further inspection and testing. You say you checked the connections and they are tight. That's fine, but did you actually take them apart and clean everything shiny bright? Are the cables in good condition, no bulging or green areas? Does your motor have a cable plug on the front? If so, are the pins and sockets in it clean, not corroded?

Don't condemn the starter till proven guilty.
Thanks for your response. I went ahead and checked and cleaned all the wires, everything looks OK. The main wires to the battery were pretty gross so I cleaned them up. Problem still persists, Now that I'm looking at it, it looks like the starter gear is not retracting at all, it just stays up there on the flywheel. So I'm going to take it apart and lube it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You need to remove the starter.--Then you need to take it apart.-----Then measure the ohms from comutator to the shaft.------Inspect brushes and clean dirt out of it.------Report what the ohm reading is.------Perhaps you have never worked on a starter .------Very easy to do !

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If you've never worked on a starter before take it into a rebuild shop and have them look at it. They would have the proper test equipment to check it out.

jetajockey

Recruit
Just wanted to update. Couldn't get one of the starter bolts out so ended up taking it to a starter repair shop. He ended up cutting the starter to get it out. He said it was fried and a replacement was the best route. I went ahead and got it from him but would probably order one in if I ever have major issues again to save some money. Starter works fantastic, better than I've ever seen since i got the boat. So I'm happy.