1980 Johnson V4 90HP Starter gear contacts the flywheel at high rpm

dzelanko

Cadet
i have a 1980 (or around that year) Johnson 90 v4, when the boat is throttled up, the starter gear contacts the fly wheel just enough to create sparks. The starter engages fine. The gear appears to slide up the shaft, thus allowing contact between the parts. i have recently replaced the starter gear and the fly wheel. The ring gear returns to its stationary position when idling/low speed... it seems as if something may be slightly misaligned? any ideas/tips/help?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The only way this can be resolved is with part #'s of parts you replaced and some pictures.-----Never seen this problem before when the correct parts are on the motor !

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The ring gear doesn't move (that's the flywheel) but it does rotate. The Bendix is the gear that moves up and down the starter shaft. You said you replaced the bendinx (I think) but did you get the spring installed correctly?? Sounds like it is pushing the Bendix up the shaft rather than down. I suppose you could have a wiring problem as well that under certain conditions the starter is actually being energized, forcing the Bendix upward. The spinning flywheel would not allow the engagement of the Bendix gear therefore forcing it back down only to repeat.

Last edited:

interalian

Commander
Post a picture of the starter assembly showing the Bendix. Or take a video of the problem?

dzelanko

Cadet
No Title

Here is a photo of the assembly. i installed it the exact way it came apart, so if it is incorrect, it was the previous owners doing

Attachments

• photo241284.JPG
    photo241284.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Take the washer off the starter below the nut.------Post pictures of that with the spring in it from the underside..-------And does this washer contact the flywheel ?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The spring is on there to prevent that from happening since the vibrations of the motor are making it walk up the shaft. The spring is supposed to stop that. You do not mention any starting issues or binding issues besides whats stated. That bendix gear does not look new did you put a used one on could you have a worn out spring maybe thats why the flywheel gear and bendix had to be replaced in the first place.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
re. Bendix gear assembly: Believe the spacer under the nut on both the Prestolite and Bosch is the same diameter as the nut -- yours looks to be too big. Spring size looks right.

Might check that out.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
additionally: might see if you can move the flywheel a bit laterally -- some bearing wear. Could be a contributing factor for clearance along with an oversized spacer/washer.