1996 Johnson 90hp Crankshaft - help!

buffboy

Recruit
I have a 1996 Johnson 90hp V4 90degree crossflow outboard that broke a piston ring after running the engine for the first time in 10 years. I've since removed and disassembled the power head and have shipped it out for machining. But now I'm looking at the crankshaft, which at first glance looked unscathed. But I noticed tonight on one of the webs (correct term?) that the factory cross hatched markings are missing on a portion of just one web (associated with the second piston from top of crankshaft). I can't determine if this material was removed intentionally (ie machined, balancing the crankshaft perhaps?) or if something got caught in there and wore it off. It seems a little too uniform to be accidental but the edge of that web above this location also has a discoloured look to it. Before I spend money on boring out the cylinders and replacing the pistons ($1000), can you help me determine if my crankshaft is useable or in need of repair/replacement?? Hopefully the attached picture helps this make sense...

I'm new to engine rebuilding so any insights you can share would be most appreciated...

Thank you - Chris

DSC00600 2.jpg

buffboy

Recruit
Journals have been inspected and are fine, so that's good. Just seems odd to have one web with the factory cross-hatching removed and a spot where it appears something did come in contact with this web. I didn't find very much in the way of debris within the powerhead from the damaged piston or the broken ring when I disassembled the motor though.

What purpose does the factory 'cross-hatching' on the webs serve? Does it aid in moving lubrication?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
These are just markings from the manufacturing process.------Put the motor together !