1996 Johnson 115 moisture in top starboard cylinder

Uno_Mas

Recruit
I'm getting water in the top cylinder on the starboard side. Compression is good on all cylinders @ 140. I have pulled the head, had it resurfaced and replaced the o-ring gaskets and reassembled but I'm still getting moisture in that cylinder. I now have the head back off and I'm looking for damage to the cylinder but it looks ok to the naked eye. Is there anything that could be causing this other than a cracked block? Any help is greatly appreciated!

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
some gasket sealer lightly spread around the water openings on the head and the block.... and new O-rings in the head......this is of course if you have a LOOPER 115 v4 and not a crossflow

bob

racerone

Supreme Mariner
He mentioned the o-rings and that would make it a looper style engine.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like a internal leak from a failed glue line, only way to tell is pull powerhead and have pressure tested.

Uno_Mas

Recruit
Thanks for the responses. I did reseal the head and replace the orings and ran it a little but it still looked like it was getting moisture in that cylinder so I pulled it apart again. I'll have to check around and see if I can find someone to pressure test the block. If it's a glue line that failed what are the possibilities of where that could be?

Thanks again!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
If its a glue line leak the cylinder sleeve will need pulled and block welded and remachined and sleeve reinstalled.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
If its a glue line leak the cylinder sleeve will need pulled and block welded and remachined and sleeve reinstalled.

yeah, what is an estimate of that kind of work????.....

just thinking about tearing a motor down to TEST...find it bad, and refurbish.... seems like there is no way it wouldn't be cost prohibitive..... especially with so many of the same vintage motors still available

bob

Uno_Mas

Recruit
yeah, what is an estimate of that kind of work????.....

just thinking about tearing a motor down to TEST...find it bad, and refurbish.... seems like there is no way it wouldn't be cost prohibitive..... especially with so many of the same vintage motors still available

bob

Exactly what I'm wondering, this sounds like more than the motor is worth.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I will not build a customers 60degree motor unless the block is pressure tested, learned a hard and $$$ lesson once......