Evinrude 15 hp fuel pump question

ECHOSIDE

Seaman Apprentice
I have an early 1980's 15 hp short shaft that is being a pain. I rebuilt the carb, did a complete ultrasonic on it and put it all back together with new parts. My question is it will not start, even choked, unless I give a little fuel into carb. Once I have it started it will run awesome and fire right up if I stop it. If I let it get cold it wont start again. Could a bad fuel pump be the cause of a no start when cold, like its not pumping enough until running? The primer pumps up solid? TIA Jason

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I find with my 9.9s I have to tweak the idle mix needle adjustment a little for good cold starting (richer). Maybe as simple as that? If you have good running once warmed up, seems your problem can't be too serious.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The fuel pump can not he the cause of a " no start " condition !!------Is the choke plate actually closing when you pull the knob out ??----Are you turning the throttle handle to the nuetral stop ?---Are you using the " start " mark on the throttle handle ?

ECHOSIDE

Seaman Apprentice
Yes the choke is closing, I have tried throttle handle everywhere, and yes it is in neutral. So the fuel pump does not pump full out till its running?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No----You fill the carburetor with the manual pump.----Once the motor starts fuel level drops and fuel pump start topping up the float bowl.

AlTn

Commander
along the lines of racer one's post #3...have you made certain that the choke pull isn't upside down and not allowing the choke to close fully?...if the slot the choke lever goes into is reversed the choke won't close fully...if all that is correct what does your link and sync look like at the start position?..< carb roller position on throttle control cam mark >

ECHOSIDE

Seaman Apprentice
Figured it out. some how the choke shaft got next to the choke lever instead of in the slot. Thanx for all info.