what is the sign of a bad starter for a Johnson 90 hp v4?

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
what is the sign of a bad starter for a 1982 Johnson 90 hp v4? I am dreaded to open the starter up to clean it, but I have experienced some occasional starter non-engaging. I cranked the motor, but the starter will make squeaking sound without engaging.the flywheel. Is it bad and time to open it up to decarb the starter or buy a new starter? So, it happens on my last outing especially when the motor was shut off and engine is cold after 2 hours of fishing. Sometimes, it starts right up in the first crank of key, other times just squeak but no engaging flywheel.

Attachments

• boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They are elegantly easy to take apart for inspection / new brushes.-----Take an ohm reading from shaft to commutator when it is apart.----Should read infinity on the meter !

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You can perform a simple test. Get a set of automotive jumper cables and a known strong battery. Jump the starter direct with the cables. If the starter cranks the engine normal speed, it's ok. If not, you'll need to tear into it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If is squeaking, it obviously needs a drop of oil in the bushings. Perhaps you can do that to the upper one without removing or dis-assembling it.

EDIT: There were two types used that year, with field coils and with permanent magnets for fields. The head-scratcher for the PM ones is how to hold the brushes down. Secret is a notched wide putty knife.

EDIT, EDIT: Pondering on it for a couple of minutes, perhaps the permanent magnets are shattered and jamming the armature. If that is the case, it is fatal and new starter time. Two ways to shatter the magnets: Drop it, or hit it with a hammer (in an effort to make it work).

Last edited:

interalian

Commander
Not to hijack, but for the permanent magent version (Bosch America on mine), what's the minimum length for the 4 brushes?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I install new brushes at $ 5.00 a set.---Hardly worth re-using them.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
You can perform a simple test. Get a set of automotive jumper cables and a known strong battery. Jump the starter direct with the cables. If the starter cranks the engine normal speed, it's ok. If not, you'll need to tear into it.

ok, i will do the test later today and let you know.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
If is squeaking, it obviously needs a drop of oil in the bushings. Perhaps you can do that to the upper one without removing or dis-assembling it.

EDIT: There were two types used that year, with field coils and with permanent magnets for fields. The head-scratcher for the PM ones is how to hold the brushes down. Secret is a notched wide putty knife.

EDIT, EDIT: Pondering on it for a couple of minutes, perhaps the permanent magnets are shattered and jamming the armature. If that is the case, it is fatal and new starter time. Two ways to shatter the magnets: Drop it, or hit it with a hammer (in an effort to make it work).
No I didn't drop it nor hammer it when it was not working. The thing about it is I crank my key, and sometimes no sound or just squeaking but no flywheel engaged, and it is happening more often since my last trip in 2015 and this weekend's outing after 2 hours fishing (engine was cold totally from before).

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I didn't mean to imply that YOU beat on it with a hammer---somebody else may have before you got your hands on it.

Could that squeaking be called a fast buzz or vibration sound? If it is, clean those battery cable terminals. Don't just look at them or wiggle them, take them apart and clean everything shiny bright.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Found the starter problem I think, bad connection because the base of the screw where the brush cable connect to the positive power got oxidized and turned into green white as pictured circled in RED. I cleaned the contacts, and they are shiny new. But, I cannot pull the commutator out so I cannot put the base back. Bummer. Almost done, Uh so close. How do i pull the front out of the casing? or the front cannot be separated? I don't think so, but how do i pull it apart?

Attachments

• photo241157.jpg
    photo241157.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 0

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

can the black be separated from the chrome piece of my starter motor? please help if yes. I have no clue how to separate the 2 pieces. I cannot put the base back without the middle bar pulled from the front.

Attachments

• photo241159.jpg
    photo241159.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
offhand, I am fairly sure it will come apart there, but why? Why can't you get the bottom end back on? Is it because you can't hold the brushes in place? Go back and read my advice about the notched putty knife.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Like this

Attachments

• photo241160.jpg
    photo241160.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 0

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
offhand, I am fairly sure it will come apart there, but why? Why can't you get the bottom end back on? Is it because you can't hold the brushes in place? Go back and read my advice about the notched putty knife.
Thx a million, didn't understand before and now that's crystal clear. Thx again

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Voila!!! It would not be possible without your HELP! Thank you very very much! IBOATS ROCK!!!

Attachments

• photo241167.jpg
    photo241167.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 0