What about the Thermostat ?

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How often should a boat motor thermostat be replaced with a new one? I recently bought a boat and motor last year and the motor is a 1992 Evinrude 60hp with the oil injection, original owner had the oil injection dis-connected as a note. I had the cowl off a couple days ago and the engine pretty much looks brand new inside very clean. I noticed where the thermostat was located the bolts looked as if they never been touched, of course I don't know if it has ever been changed out or not or if there is a normal routine to change it out. I know the motor has always just been in fresh water.

Tony

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is no reason to replace a thermostat used in fresh water if it is working.--------Does the tell tale for the waterpump indicator come off the side of the block or off the top of the block ?-----Have you installed a new impeller since purchasing the boat ?

Last edited:

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The best I can remember it comes off the top of the block but I'm not 100% sure on that I'll have to look again.

No sir I have not replaced the impeller, but someone has and I'm guessing recently,there was a few random parts, old spark plugs,gas line connectors,fuel filter, etc along with an old impeller in a plastic bag, even though the old impeller didn't look that bad to me but I'm not a marine mechanic. I assume the guy kept up pretty regular maintenance on the motor from the looks of it, but I have no absolute proof on that.The pee stream is very strong coming out the motor and I have seen no signs of overheating. I didn't know if changing out a thermostat each year was required or not,you answered that question for me.

I'm going to take some pictures of the motor and post on here later tonight, there's one other question I was wanting to ask of something I noticed on the motor and didn't know for sure what it is.

Tony

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
When is the last time you replaced a thermostat in a car? I can remember two that failed in my last 60 years of driving. One physically broke and overheated, the other one failed in open position and the heater wouldn't put out warm air. Outboard thermostats work in the same way--just smaller. Now, salt water is a different story, as is pump failure and resulting overheating which damages lots of parts.

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When is the last time you replaced a thermostat in a car? I can remember two that failed in my last 60 years of driving. One physically broke and overheated, the other one failed in open position and the heater wouldn't put out warm air. Outboard thermostats work in the same way--just smaller. Now, salt water is a different story, as is pump failure and resulting overheating which damages lots of parts.
F-R last time I changed a thermostat was on my 2003 Dodge diesel truck at 60k miles when I changed out the antifreeze and it's past due for another 60K antifreeze change out. Although when my daughter was 16 the car she was driving then the thermostat stuck close she kept driving and over heated the engine. I lucked out because all it damaged was the heads and was able to fix it for about a grand. That's the reason I was asking about outboards because I didn't know if they was any different than a vehicle.

racerone- no sir I have not tested the hot horn yet, seems to me it's a tan colored wire and you ground it out to test the horn.

Tony

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Forget I asked about the car then. BtW, my present Dodge truck just turned 155,000 miles. Just traded off my old Chevy car with 189,000 miles. Both with original 'stats. Maybe I get lucky.

But the question about the hot horn is yes grounding the tan wire with key switch on should blow the horn. Gives a nice comfy feeling to know, but the process does not test the thermal switch in the head. Also, it proves the horn worked this time but doesn't say anything about next time. Still, it's better than the old idiot light system.

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Ok thanks there F-R on the tan wire, here is another question what is this capped valve that is marked red in the picture next to the carburetors?

Tony

Attachments

• photo240858.jpg
    photo240858.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo240859.jpg
    photo240859.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That unit is the wonderful electric primer valve.-----It opens when you push in the key while cranking the motor for cold start.------The red lever is for manually opening the valve.------The shreader valve on it is used for injecting storage oil or tune-up products.

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That unit is the wonderful electric primer valve.-----It opens when you push in the key while cranking the motor for cold start.------The red lever is for manually opening the valve.------The shreader valve on it is used for injecting storage oil or tune-up products.
OK thanks racerone I suspected it to be for using fogging oil when you winterize the engine but I didn't know for sure. Most of the older engines I've owned in the past didn't have this valve that I knew of.

By the way racerone that pee tube does come out the side of the block instead of on top like I thought, I checked it again when I was taking the pics.

Tony

Attachments

• 2016-04-02 14.50.39.jpg
    2016-04-02 14.50.39.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is no reason to replace a thermostat used in fresh water if it is working.--------Does the tell tale for the waterpump indicator come off the side of the block or off the top of the block ?-----Have you installed a new impeller since purchasing the boat ?
Ok thanks racerone I suspected that to be the valve for fogging oil attachment to winterize the engine. The water pump tube comes from the side of the block instead of the top like I was thinking but wasn't sure at the time you asked. You can see the tube mounted on the bottom part of the block in the pic. Why was you asking if it come from the side of block or the top?

Tony

Attachments

• 2016-04-02 14.50.39.jpg
    2016-04-02 14.50.39.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 0

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have you tested the hot horn in the control box ?
Did the test on the hot horn today, it works fine,hopefully I'll never have to hear it go off again until the next time to test it.

Tony

mlaajanen

Seaman
I installed a temp gauge and it shows that the engine overheats but the temp is never over 75-80 degress C, the horn is quite and I have changed the impeller and thermostat!!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Its been a while since i had to do one but i believe your engine may fall into the category of that a service bullitin went out on.

It sayed that they tell tale needed to be relocated to the top of the cylinder head. I believe all the parts to do it come with the new t-stat kit which is also an upgrade. You get a differwnt spring and housing and such in it.

I cant remember the kit number but emdsapmgr posted it somewhere awhile back.

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its been a while since i had to do one but i believe your engine may fall into the category of that a service bullitin went out on.

It sayed that they tell tale needed to be relocated to the top of the cylinder head. I believe all the parts to do it come with the new t-stat kit which is also an upgrade. You get a differwnt spring and housing and such in it.

Ok thanks I'll check into it.

Tony

Tony T.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I spoke to emdsapmgr through a pm a day ago and he said he didn't have info on a kit number but that a possible alternative was to simply re-route the tell tale, turn barb pointing straight up, upward toward the top of the block make a U back downward to the tell tale exit (pee stream exit). I'm going to do this myself for piece of mind, like I said I don't "think" I'm having any problems with overheating but I'm not 100% sure. I told him also that when I tested the hot horn it did sound off but I tried it 6 or 7 times and it did not sound off each time maybe 4 times out of the 7 I tried it,it worked. Either I was not holding good enough ground those times it didn't sound off or maybe the hot horn may need to be replaced (possibly going bad I don't know) or is there a 1 or 2 second reset delay for the hot horn there again I don't know ? I have a hand held laser temp scanner I'm going to try and get some readings while the motor is running, there again should this be done at the lake while motor is under load or can it be done at home with the water hose and muffs hooked up to get a good accurate temp reading ?

Tony

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
At the lake fornthe temp gun.

I pretty sure about the stat upgrade and relocation of tell tale barb. Maybe find a dealer thats been in business for awhile and ask.them. your looking for an old tech who has been around.

Maybe it wasn't emd, it may have been racerone who knows this relocation stuff and which models.