1976 Johnson 55hp starter

pontiacfieroguy

Seaman Apprentice
Where is the cheapest place to buy a new starter? Cheapest I have been able to find was $125 but that seems high since I've bought starters for cars for less than half.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have you inspected your starter ?------$ 125 is too much ?----You would be shocked at $ 450 for a Honda starter I suppose.

pontiacfieroguy

Seaman Apprentice
Yes I have inspected it and one of the wires for the brush broke the tab inside off and one of the bolts holding it together is broken. Before the starter failed completely it would spin but not always engage the gear with the flywheel so I'm not sure how to repair it myself and all the starter shops around here all told me to bring it in for inspection and that they may or may not be able to repair it and that's if they can even get parts.

pontiacfieroguy

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone know if this starter will work? I need to get one ordered soon so I can be ready for taking my girl out on the lake.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your motor fits into the 44 cubic inch group.---------Typical of internet shopping.----The folks know what is on the computer screen and not much else.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I see a cross reference to an ARCO 5371 -- I've had good luck with ARCO starters, and recommend them: http://www.arcomarine.com It's been a while, but they had a very good help desk. Maybe an option there -- would give them the oem number for your starter.

[5371 is listed for the 55 (ARCO site) but not prices -- call in, apparently. Working back from the cross-reference ARCO number, it looks like your source is showing the right one. Price is almost surely lower than the ARCO starter will be.]

Last edited: