Wiring diagram Johnson V4AL-17S

Traveno82

Cadet
Hello everyone! Let me start buy saying that I'm very thankful I've come across this site/forum! I spent most of the night last night reading through nursemans rebuild of his boat and I was "hooked"! I recently purchased my first boat, a 65 Larson all American with a 75 Johnson. Thing needs a lot of love!! Working on the motor to get it running to see if moving forward is a good choice. What I do know is that it's been sitting for years. I've read through the post about "reviving an old outboard" and understand what needs to be done. I need help with identifying the parts of the motors electrical system and a wiring diagram as well. I found one online for a 68 85hp with electric shift. Some things look right and others don't. Here's a few pics of what I'm starting with, just want to make sure it's all correct before I hook the battery up.

Traveno82

Cadet
No Title

Attachments

• photo240014.jpg
    photo240014.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo240015.jpg
    photo240015.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo240016.jpg
    photo240016.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo240017.jpg
    photo240017.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Inspection at no $ spent can be done.--Compression test is first.---Crank it over with booster cables if need be.-----Test shift function of lower unit.

Traveno82

Cadet
Thanks racerone, I'll borrow the neighbors compression gauge and check that. Any idea on what good compression is? I ordered an owners manual as well as a device manual but I'm waiting for them to arrive. Also there's a bunch of "crap" inside by the looks of it. Guy said he thought a mouse had gotten in there. When I started cleaning the rest of the boat I found several bees nests. Any ideas on the best way to clean the motor out?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Best learn how to inspect this motor before spending any $$$ on it.---There is usually a reason for wiring work like that and that motor being " abandoned " by previous owner !