1993 18' Alumaweld w/ 1993 120 V4 2 stroke Evinrude - planning issues

ltduecesanders

Recruit
First time Ive owned a boat.
Bought it about 4 months ago from a close friend who wasnt able to use it due to work.
Everything was working properly (So I was told) but it wasnt ran in about a year. I do trust the previous owner a lot.

So, I started reading books, forums and anything I could find on google to make sure i didnt mess anything up.
These are the changes I made before i ever put it in the water.
lower unit oil
fresh gas with fuel stabilizer
new spark plugs
new impeller & housing
I also did a fogging kit
Removed prop and cleared any debris that was built up behind it which there wasnt really anything.
I rewired the console and added new gauges (no Tach added yet, the one i wanted is/was on backorder) I havent checked in a while due to other boat changes (New paint job which ill never do again, lol). The Paint job was done after the 2nd time in the water.
Previous owner said he had the carbs rebuilt prior to storing the boat away.

I was finally able to put it in the water for the first time. It ran great. Planed out fine and hit about 54 MPH. This was really just a test run. I made two passes down a canal close to my house. Total time on water was about 30 minutes. I put it in gear and coasted a good ways to warm her up before I started really running it.

Two weeks go by and i took her out to go duck hunting. Ran ok but I found it took longer to get on plane than previous run. Hunted for a while then started her up and headed home. About halfway to the dock, the alarm went off. I shut it down immediately. Got towed in.
I must of hit some mud so I changed the impeller again and cleared the water line. Put the flushing ears on and no water came out of the telltale.
So I took the tell tale hose off and replaced it. Water started coming out after I changed it but it wasnt nearly as forceful as before.
I changed the thermostats, checked the water line again for blockage but everything was clear. long story short, it ended up being the little fitting that the tell tale hose connected to on the motor.

So I was finally able to take her out again. Took off after warming her up and she would not get on plane. Like the bow was up dangerously high (to me atleast).
Just listening to the engine, it sounded like it was running at decent RPMs and the speedometer read about 25 MPH and i also was not running full throttle. I tried a few times and it wouldnt get on plane.

Took it home and ran a compression test and all 4 cyl were in between 120-125.

Im going today and picking up another prop but the one thats on there now doesnt look bad.

Im wondering if there is anything else that I can check or change before I put it in the water again.

Thank you and sorry for the lengthy post

P.S. She starts on the first crank.

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats. Even though your compression numbers look ok I would pull the spark plugs and look in cylinders to see if the walls are even slightly scored and if there is any aluminium on the plugs

ltduecesanders

Recruit
Pulled the plugs and nothing looked abnormal.
No metal shavings on the plugs either.

I went pick up a small flexible light tonight to try to get a better look inside. I'll do that in the morning.

I bought another prop and I'll try that in the lake later next week.