1977 Johnson 140 Rebuild - Should I ?

OMC_V4

Cadet
I'm thinking of buying this and then ordering a rebuild kit for 500 - 1000 dollars, buying the proper repair manual, and rebuilding it.

What is this motor worth in USD? (posting is in Canada, but I can do the conversion).
I was thinking of buying a complete rebuild kit to do this, which is somewhere 500 to 1000 USD online - does this make sense?
I think all rebuild kits are most likely not equal. I've attached some examples of what I see below. Is there a recommended kit that is best for my family boat application?
How easy is it to get the paint and decals looking brand new again?
How hard would it be to find a replacement cylinder head and what is it's approximate value?
How can I tell the whole block is not toast?
Is there something special about this motor (for example it is a short shaft)? I'd like to eventually use it on a boat such as Starcraft Holiday or Super Sport.

Love these 90' V4's, grew up with an 1971 Evinrude 85 hp pushing an 18ft Starcraft Holiday and think they are great. Here is the posting for the motor:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-boat-parts-t...rd/1099911516?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

This guy has the rebuild kits for about 1000 USD:

http://www.maxrules.com/fixphead_omc.html

This one has them for 547 USD

http://shop.tsmperformance.net/Advanced-Series-Powerhead-Rebuild-Kits_c278.htm

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If it doesn't run it's worth whatever scrap aluminum is worth. If it's a shortshaft it's worth a ton but those are extremely rare and run and get it now. No way to tell how bad the bore is without pulling the motor apart. WSM makes a good kit for them priced reasonably I prefer to put wisecos in that motor so it adds to the price.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No such thing as a 15" short shaft on those.-----Perhaps a few 25" models in the US but very rare in your area.-------Decals would be bought after it is running properly-------Decals are available in Toronto.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
As far as I know all of those were 20 " models in Ontario.

Last edited:

OMC_V4

Cadet
So when rebuilding these engines, do you usually replace everything with the full kit?

Also I'm guessing from what I've read on this forum that this motor is likely shot from plugged carb on one of the cylinders resulting in lean fuel and subsequent burnout due to low lubrication. Are these failures typically a rebuild option or are the blocks usually cooked after? By the looks of the tear down, he has done, maybe he got into it and found it was a mess, then decided to sell it. Trying to figure out the likelihood of this being a rebuildable motor.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Most of those end up like that because the rings break. If the pistons have been replaced they are usually marked with the oversize on them. Max piston size I could find for that is a .064 . If it's a stock bore you should be in good shape but make sure there are no major gouges in it. Is the lower unit good and does the tilt and trim work.

OMC_V4

Cadet
I have not seen this motor in person. Good question regarding power trim and tilt. I could easily ask to see that running. Regarding lower unit... How can you know if the lower unit is good without a rotating engine?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Simple you pull the lower unit apart for inspecton before you spend a penny on parts for the powerhead.--------A 40 year old lower needs a seal kit anyways.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Depends on whether the 140 block was overbored much. Probably at least once. The factory used to make crossflow pistons up to .040 over. 438998. Bombardier shows two of their current dealers still have a total of 4 new pistons in their dealer stock. The big thing is do you want to take a chance on buying the powerhead, only to find the block is damaged beyond repair. A 115 block could be substituted, but it does not have all the 140 hi-perf attributes, and you'd wind up with a 115. That motor used the old 3-wire trim motor. Ask if his spare motor is the old 3-wire or the newer 2-wire motor.. Decals are NLA. You don't want any old decals, they deteriorate with age and become unuseable. Finding a useable replacement 140 head is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. With two powerheads, it would be interesting to see what he'd take as a best offer. With luck you might be able to sell just the lower unit only for $400.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Decals are available all day long at ---nymarine-----------$ 100 for a complete set.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
$100 for a complete new set is a good deal. Jump on it. You can get factory manuals from the original publisher: Ken Cook Co., in Milwaukee. Check out their website: outboardbooks.com. Original factory exploded parts diagrams at epc.brp.com

Last edited: