2003 Johnson 115HP 4 Stroke- No water from indicator

snowforner15

Recruit
Hi guys, first time outboard owner here. Have owned inboards in the past and done minor maintenance.
Recently purchased 03 115HP 4 stroke on a zodiac. Motor looks to be in excellent shape, no use shown on prop, could eat off powerhead, so decided to buy it without a water trial. Boat has been essentially sitting in a barn since 07 or so, based on all of the registration tags in the file/not on the hull.
Impeller & engine oil was last serviced 2005 (It is Feb. 2016 now) so impeller was my go to. Dropped the lower unit, new impeller in, back together, on the hose- fired right up and purred like a kitten on idle/light rev.

No water from pee hole / tell tale/ water pump indicator, but was coming from prop exhaust and back out the intake vents (I have a hose screw in).

1. Can someone please provide steps to make sure pee hole is not clogged?
2. Please explain where water goes once it it up from water pump.
3. How do I clean intake vents on side of motor?

Per the attached diagram, it looks like I have #5 going straight into #8. I have #7,14 in the mail..
4. Could this make a difference?
http://www.crowleymarine.com/johnson-evinrude/parts/59811.cfm

How do I unclog water pump indicator circuit?

Thanks.

phillnjack2

Ensign
if you have a clogged pee hole/tell tale use a pice of thin welding wire and give a slight wiggle. best would be to trace the rubber hose and pull it off at engine end then poke a bit of welding wire in there.
if you have a more serious blockage you might have to take off the heads and then clean out the block.
I personally would take out the thermostats, then take off the lower unit and put a hose on the pipe in the mid section and see if that runs freely.
if it does you might have a seized thermostat and relief valves ( they can be seized up ). if this is already all free then the problem is more than likey the small pipe from water pump to the copper pipe in the mid section not fitting correctly. when I put a lower unit on I use a small amout of washing up liquid to let it guide in easy and after just a minute or two of running the liquid is gone with the water passing through it.