1995 Johnson 150 Ocean Runner, intermittent start.

Al Hendricks

Cadet
Hello all, I have had this boat for 12 years with very little trouble last time to run was June last year. While getting ready for this year was hard to start drained fuel tank serviced with fresh fuel. Still no start checked spark found none, replaced ignition switch and kill switch engine started several times ran good tried again later no start no spark. Thanks for any help.

reiddo1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is your battery and starter motor continuously providing the cranking speed necessary to generate spark? Try starting either with a fresh good battery connected in parallel with booster cables to the original battery or wired in directly.

Al Hendricks

Cadet
Just got home and tried it started right up tried a few more times with success. Came in house and read your reply the battery is very strong with a fresh charge it is a little over a year old. Will try again in a short while, thanks for your post, if it fails again I will add another battery with jumper cables

Al Hendricks

Cadet
Had about a dozen good starts today let set 30 min. no start recharged batt and added a fully charged batt with jumper cables still no start, no spark

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Most folks are reluctant to believe that slow cranking and starter motor could be the problem.----I would start with an inspection of the starter.----No need to rush out and buy a new one.-----These starters are elegantly easy to inspect / repair.---A brush kit is cheap.

Al Hendricks

Cadet
With no brushes available for over a week I removed starter and inspected brushes looked like plenty of brush left and the springs seemed strong enough, reinstalled still no start no spark.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
in addition, corrosion over the winter can shut it down -- and hard to find. Clean all connections -- sandpaper, wire brush, etc. I follow up with electrical cleaner spray.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
These starters are easily damaged by too much cranking !----Find them bad all the time.-----Should read infinity from shaft to commutator with digital meter.-------I am not saying YOUR starter is bad.-----It is a no $$$ spent step for you to take in your trouble shooting steps.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The optical ignition system on this motor is not really effected by cranking speed of starter, that why pack receives 12v from yell/red off starter solenoid.
Pasted from CDI

At cranking speed the voltage from the stator may not be enough to operate the circuits inside the power pack, therefore there is battery voltage supplied from the starter solenoid via the yellow/red striped wire. The extra voltage is needed in order for the optical sensor to operate correctly as low voltage from the battery and/or stator can cause intermittent or no fire at all.

Al Hendricks

Cadet
I am getting 10.5 V at yellow/red stripe wire while cranking with two fully charged batteries hooked in parallel

reiddo1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
With the risk of being reprimanded by others for suggesting this, why not disconnect your main control wiring harness just after it enters the engine. Then try starting by applying power directly to the positive post on the starter. If you have already activated the fuel priming pump she should fire up right away unless there is a poor electrical connection on the engine itself. If she does start repeatedly with ease, then the main wiring harness or the ignition wiring/switch are suspect. My 2000 Johnson 150 exhibited the same symptoms after being under water for 4 hours. After disconnecting the wiring harness she would fire up readily. No problems what so ever after I replaced it. Be prepared to pull plug wires to shut her down after she starts as with the wiring harness disconnected it is rather difficult to shut the engine down quickly any other way. Good luck with this!

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
The optical ignition system on this motor is not really effected by cranking speed of starter, that why pack receives 12v from yell/red off starter solenoid.
Pasted from CDI

would that only apply to CDI electrical parts??????? are the original factory parts OMC only or are they sourced from CDI as OEM?

bob