HELP. 1996 Johnson Ocean Runner 150

Mericle80

Recruit
OK, bought this boat back in November and took it out a few times, everything ran great. Then it sat up for a couple of months and now has a problem. Boat has new powerpack, new pump (vro) and gas lines from the through hull to the bubble and then from bubble to the pump. Boat started up and ran for about 5 minutes and then died. Now it will crank and run for 2-4 seconds and dies as well as loses its prime. Where do I begin checking? Is there something that could clog up down in the gas tank? I'm neither ignorant nor super knowledgeable of marine engines. Really blows getting a "new to me boat" and it just sitting on the weekends. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Bryan from Texas

rothfm

Ensign
Do few searches as there alot of similar posts with isolation steps.

But one of the first things you can do is determining if this is a Fuel delivery issue. Try either squeezing the primer bulb, or carefully spraying a mix into the carb throats as it begins to run. If it changes your symptom, particularly if it stays running vs stalling-You have a fuel delivery issue. Then after that you can delve into ignition with some testing. Also, since it is new to you, check your compression.

Post findings and others will lend a hand too