OMC Gasket Sealer? OEM Parts?

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
I had a question about OEM Parts and gasket sealers, some people said you dont need it but others say you do, is this true? I bought a head gasket set of my 1974 Johnson 50hp and I was wondering if I need this sealer or not? If so were can I find the right sealant?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Some head gaskets say "use no sealer". Be sure to check for that. If that isn't printed on the gasket use the sealer.

Last edited:

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
0439083 - POWERHEAD GASKET SET - Got it from doesn't say anything about sealer.

Mod EDIT: Chris, remember Iboats, the host.of this free forum, is a retailer, and refrain from posting links to outside retailers.

Last edited by a moderator:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
1974 gasket probably does not need a sealer. Does it have a shiny or colored coating? That is factory applied sealer and nothing should be added. OMC Gasket sealer is not Permatex. That is not to say that Permatex cannot be used as a substitute. Personally, I far prefer the OMC stuff.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The OMC regular gasket sealer comes in a small can with a brush-dauber attached to the cap. Part number: 317201.Purchase it at any Bombardier Evinrude dealer. Very similar to the Permatex, but is a little more runny. Works the same. I've used both and actually prefer the Bombardier, as it is easier to control when applying. You will find most gaskets that seal compression/vacuum and water-will require a gasket sealer. Many of the newer head gaskets are stamped "no sealer required." These are made specially, so the installer does not get too much sealant into the water passages holes in the head gasket itself-potentially causing a restriction when running.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
So just to make it clear, I need gasket sealer on all of the gaskets that are used for water, dont use it on fuel gaskets, and some head gaskets dont require it (When i took my old one off, it came off easily, it fell off didn't even have to peel it. What about the other head gaskets? Exhaust ones?

AlTn

Commander
head cover gasket..yes....exhaust gaskets..yes...powerhead gaskets..yes

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
They are under pressure from exhaust combustion and they contain water under pressure from the cooling system.