Evinrude 9.5 Slow speed cable

fisherman c

Cadet
I am looking for directions on how you install this slow speed cable that runs from the control knob (rotary knob) at the tiller base to the carb. I cannot see where this enters into the engine compartment. Do you have to take the handle off? Or exactly how is this installed. I bought this motor used and it only has an adjustment screw at the carb amd I want to instal slow speed contorl back to the external tiller handle area. ---Thanks Gregg

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Makes a difference what year it is. Are you sure it is a cable? Or is it a linkage system? Post a model number.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
NO-----There is no cable there at all.----That adjustment is an idle stop.----It is not a mixture control !

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sill need the year.
Ive got a few 9.5's
some are cable, some are linkage.

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The knob where the tiller meets the motor is for the idle if you turn it up you can't turn the tiller handle Dow all the way and it idles fast like you would be throttling up a little bit

fisherman c

Cadet
Thanks for all the input. The model number on this engine is 9222R and I believe that it is a 1972 ?? The rotary knob is on the right side of the tiller at the back end and on the knob it states "Idle Adust Slow". I assumed this would connect to the carb and would allow you to adust for slow speed.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No, it does not connect to the carburetor !----------The idle mixture cable from the carburetor goes to a knob that should be on the left side of the panel.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The idle knob on the tiller limits how far you can turn the twist grip toward "Slow". In other words, it sets how fast it runs with the grip turned all the way toward "Slow". Idle Speed or RPM. Above idle speed, it does absolutely nothing (unless set so high you can't shift it).

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I initially set/release the throttle stop to allow full throttle control with the twist grip (full slow). I then set the carb idle mixture, and throttle/carb link and sync. Properly dialing in the idle mixture (carb) yields the lowest speed at which the motor runs smoothly, warmed up and in gear (with back pressure). As a final step, I adjust the throttle idle stop to match that rpm setting. Having done so, clockwise twist grip travel will be limited by the idle stop, like F_R says, and inadvertant stalling will be prevented.

Idle speed should typically be around 650 rpms, although I usually do it by sound. With a well-tuned motor in excellent condition, though, a lower idle speed could work fine. And with a tired motor, the idle speed might be higher -- though should never be so high as to risk gear damage or to threaten safety. If a motor has to be slammed into gear to keep from stalling, it needs maintenance or repair.

I don't know if the throttle stop is useful for other purposes (setting a trolling speed, for example). I just never use it for that purpose.