Johnson 1974 Honing Cylinder problems

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
I got a cheap 13$ cylinder hone on amazon, tried using it and it broke, it got caught in the fuel and exhaust ports. It was one of those 3 bladed spring loaded ones. Not sure what to do, got it out alright, didn't damage the motor but I need a new hone, any suggestions? I saw those flex hones but those only come in 3 1/4 and my motor is a 3 1/16.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You have to use a hone like you had the flex hones with balls cannot be used on 2 strks. The reason being is the balls fall into the ports and damage them. Buy a good quality hone with stones and you will be good.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Longer stones and don't get in too much of a hurry.

The stones have to be long enough that while the end of a stone is hanging over the intake/exhaust port it won't ever have more than 1/3 of the stone unsupported by cylinder wall. Longer is better.

Slowly ramp up the rpm, don't just clamp down to full power instantly. You'll find an rpm that you can comfortably work the stones in and out resulting in the nice crosshatch pattern seen with a professional job.

Constantly moving in and out helps prevent you from accidentally tapering the cylinder... But you still need to periodically micrometer check top, mid and bottom (plus more spots won't hurt)

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You cannot use a spring type hone as if cylinders are out of round it will follow cylinder profile. You use a rigid hone to dress cylinders and if any imperfections they will show up as untouched areas and cylinder will need boring. You can use a ball hone to break the glaze if cylinders mike straight or to recross hatch and all cylinders have wear/taper. Always hone with a lube as I use diesel fuel.