1959 Fat 50 starter

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello again, I'm afraid that i am going to have to replace the starter on my 59 starflite, i went through with an ohm meter just to check the electrical components on this motor (different switches, electric choke, starter....) The second i touched the positive terminal on the starter.. the darn thing ripped right out of the starter, i did however get an ohm reading off the starter and it apears to be good.... but I wont be sure how strong the starter will be until its under load, so my question is what should i do about this issue, i would almost feel better if i got a new starter and not have to worry in the future, but i have looked on ebay and i can't find one, is there any other starter that will fit the bracket on this fat 50? I know i can re use the gear assembly on my existing starter, that is all in good shape still... please help :) By the way the starter is a MDO 4003 M and the manufacturer is autolite.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The other V-4 motors up to around 1965-ish used similar starters (the ones with a reduction gear). However, the ones for 75, 80, 85, 100hp will be just a bit longer and more powerful. So look for one of those because it is better (more powerful). Length is not a problem, it will still fit in the space.

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So if i decide to do something like that i should be able to pull the starter from a 65 johnson for example, and use my old gear assembly and i should be back in business?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
So if i decide to do something like that i should be able to pull the starter from a 65 johnson for example, and use my old gear assembly and i should be back in business?

Yes, the reduction gear assemblies are all the same.

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can outboard starters be rebuilt like automotive starters?

I think they can, they arnt a sealed unit, meaning you can replace the brushes, gears, armature plates, ect.. and i would have to assume the windings canbe re wound, i know of some people that have had their starters rebuilt, but finding someone that does it may be hard to come by because lets face it, there are more people out there that work on cars than people who work on outboards.. unfortunately lol

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Everyone i did do some research and i managed to locate an original 1959 starter, are the origional starters lemons to be avoided? I can't find one off a higher HP engine. The seller says this one cranks strong so I am thinking of getting it, he wants $40 for it. Any thoughts? Thanks for the help so far F_R

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
It sounds like you might have a solution, although it's not clear that one will fit your engine (your call). Price sounds OK.

I might be wrong, but rewinding armatures is pretty rare these days, if that's what's needed. Unless the starter you found is going to work, it would be good to find a local shop that specializes in starters and alternators, and make sure they know it's for marine use (ignition protection -- shouldn't be an issue on a rebuild of your starter). Rewinding though -- found some time ago some of the shorter armatures are hard to come by for rewinding, if that's what you have, and rewinding itself is done by only a few shops. If that's true, of course, a good shop would still be able to send it out.

Anyway, I had good luck with ARCO for rebuilts and replacements, if you don't have a local shop: http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/More_about_ARCO_Marine.html

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It sounds like you might have a solution, although it's not clear that one will fit your engine (your call). Price sounds OK.

I might be wrong, but rewinding armatures is pretty rare these days, if that's what's needed. Unless the starter you found is going to work, it would be good to find a local shop that specializes in starters and alternators, and make sure they know it's for marine use (ignition protection -- shouldn't be an issue on a rebuild of your starter). Rewinding though -- found some time ago some of the shorter armatures are hard to come by for rewinding, if that's what you have, and rewinding itself is done by only a few shops. If that's true, of course, a good shop would still be able to send it out.

Anyway, I had good luck with ARCO for rebuilts and replacements, if you don't have a local shop: http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/More...CO_Marine.html

I know that this starter will fit, i have a 59 starflite and this is the original replacement, but F_R put a bit of a scare in me making me concerned that the origional starters are weak and that i should look for one off higher HP motor, maybe I'm just over thinking this. But i did look at the link for that website and they seem respectable, when the day comes where i get another starter for my motor, maybe i will call them and see if they will rebuild my old one, thank you

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I didnt mean to scare you, just let you know that the newer ones are better. The original is ok if it is in good condition. Of course any of them can be worn out or burned up, new or old. BTW, your original post suggests that the cable terminal is broken off yours. If that is true and the rest of it is ok, you can replace that terminal. It is part of a brush kit.

EDIT: The terminal / brush kit info may be incorrect. I could be wrong on that. Hard to keep track of all the changes and variations.

Last edited:

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I didnt mean to scare you, just let you know that the newer ones are better. The original is ok if it is in good condition. Of course any of them can be worn out or burned up, new or old. BTW, your original post suggests that the cable terminal is broken off yours. If that is true and the rest of it is ok, you can replace that terminal. It is part of a brush kit.

EDIT: The terminal / brush kit info may be incorrect. I could be wrong on that. Hard to keep track of all the changes and variations.

Okay I'll have to look into that! Thanks again