Fuel pump conversion

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have a 2000 90 hp Johnson ,am pre mixing fuel but using fuel pump on the VRO unit . Fuel pump quit working got a rebuild kit on order . Rebuilt pump about two years ago , my question is , is there a pump that can replace this one and remove the VRO unit and my next question would be , how do I prime the motor ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You will get a lot of opinions on this.-----Myself I would simply go to the parts bin and install a pump off say a 1966 100 hp Johnson.--------No money spent for me.----those are simple pumps with filter and water seperating bowl.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Well, the primer solenoid will open up and allow the fuel pump to push a heavy mix fuel into the crankcase. So, while the fuel pump helps prime the system, without pushing the key "in" while cranking, you will not be able to prime the motor.

There are three options. 1.) Buy a new VRO pump and no more pre mix. 2.) Buy a VRO "looking" pump that has the oil side removed. Basically it looks just like the VRO but has no oil side and no electronics or wiring. Part # 5007422 3.) Get one of these:

Now, for choice 3, it depends on if you hace a 60 or 90 degree motor. You can get them from Maxrules.com.Part number for 60 degree is 8402-460. Part number for 90 degree is 8402-2.

All in all, if you rebuild the old VRO it will work just fine. The full rebuild for the FUEL side of the VRO costs around $160, so honestly you may as well buy one of Maxrules pumps. No plastic to break and $12 a piece for rebuild parts in the future.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Being a 90 HP, me thinks its factory VRO unit can be removed and replaced with Fuel pump 1 x 438559 (or 0438559). If one searches ebay, amazon or maxrules, one finds lots of these pumps. For 120 HP and above, I'd use 2 x 438559 pumps. But for a 90 HP, 1 x 438559 / 0438559 (also shown as part number 8559 on maxrules site) should work fine....

Note: Recommend calling MAXRules folks to confirm exact part number (for your engine's exact year).

Last edited:

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Yea you are right about that. Maxrules only calls
For the double fuel pump for 120 and up.

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I remove VRO unit and replace with fuel pump 438559 or 8402-460 , how is motor primed as there is no choke or primer ??These motors as everyone knows are murder to start without priming .

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What happened to the electric primer valve that was standard equipment when it left the factory ??---Anything on that motor with a wee red lever ?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Well, the primer solenoid will open up and allow the fuel pump to push a heavy mix fuel into the crankcase. So, while the fuel pump helps prime the system, without pushing the key "in" while cranking, you will not be able to prime the motor.

There are three options. 1.) Buy a new VRO pump and no more pre mix. 2.) Buy a VRO "looking" pump that has the oil side removed. Basically it looks just like the VRO but has no oil side and no electronics or wiring. Part # 5007422 3.) Get one of these:

Now, for choice 3, it depends on if you hace a 60 or 90 degree motor. You can get them from Maxrules.com.Part number for 60 degree is 8402-460. Part number for 90 degree is 8402-2.

All in all, if you rebuild the old VRO it will work just fine. The full rebuild for the FUEL side of the VRO costs around $160, so honestly you may as well buy one of Maxrules pumps. No plastic to break and $12 a piece for rebuild parts in the future.

were they still making 90 degree 90 hp 's in 2000?????????????

my guess is it is a 60 degree looper

they make regular fuel pumps.
The 2000 105 HP is a rope start 60 degree looper V4 that uses TWO regular fuel pumps . the motor also uses a Primer Solenoid, just like all the other 60 degree loopers carb motors...but it is MOUNTED in a different location.....so I imagine... you will need to aquire some form of bracket and the hoses needed to route to the manifolds...because they are DIFFERENT than the motors with the VRO2 pumps.....

bob