1974 Johnson Powerhead Gasket Liner?!?!

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Hi, Im looking for a certain part, it is a rounded tube liner that fits in between the back bearing cover and the main powerhead part, it is part number 49 on this chart, it is NLA and my old one was ripped. Does anybody know were I can get this part?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Fairly easy !----Most BRP dealers will cut that from a roll of the stuff.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sure you can.----Folks used to support their local repair shops but that is going out of style I think.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Sure you can.----Folks used to support their local repair shops but that is going out of style I think.
I would love to support my local shop, but I live to far from one. Im trying to figure out what #49 is called, like what would I seach for?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
guessing it might be the same stuff as the spaghetti seal used on old lower unit gear cases. The last time I bought the seal, I think it was in bulk from a local shop. If the same, might give it a name somebody might recognize, anyway, if calling in an order. Anybody know if it's the same stuff?

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

If it is a rope seal it can be bought here at IBOATS. Part number 18-2534. OMC part number 309044. This seal is for gearcases and as oldboat said it may be the same. I am not sure either. The one in the picture is the sierra seal sold here.

Attachments

• photo237594.jpg
    photo237594.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Just curious were would this rope go on the gearcase? Thank you all so much, now I can finally get this project back together!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
old clamshell style gear cases, as in '50s omcs -- spaghetti or rope seal went between the upper and lower halves.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

Was used at least until the 1980s. Fits into the slot in the skeg shown in the picture.

Attachments

• photo237618.jpg
    photo237618.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 0

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Ah ok ha. Im not sure if I need to start a new thread for this, but I got a cheap 13$ cylinder hone on amazon, tried using it and it broke, it got caght in the fuel and exhaust ports. It was one of those 3 bladed spring loaded ones. Not sure what to do, got it out alright, didn't damage the motor but I need a new hone, any suggestions? I saw those flex hones but those only come in 3 1/4 and my motor is a 3 1/16.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Chris, the guys are correct. The part you are looking for is commonly called a spaghetti seal. Sold off a 50' roll at most all Evinrude dealers. Part number 309044. The older engines that use this seal should have a half-groove cut in the face of the part. Use some common gasket sealer and insert the rubber seal in the groove. It's pretty bendable and will work around corners.