Adding Electric Starter To Evinrude 57 Fastwin 18

peacemaker48

Cadet
This is my first post . (Great site by the way). Arthritis in my wrist makes it very hard to to start my motor (1957 Fastwin 18 ) and I thought before replacing it with a newer electric start motor I would see if adding an electric starter to the old evinrude was a viable option. I have some mechanical ability and tools but not sure what I might run into . The motor is in good shape for her age. Thanks for any and all responses. PS I'll post some pics when I figure out how....lol

peacemaker48

Cadet
I just read in the tutorial that I have to have three posts before posting photos, Here's two.....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many of those were sold with electric start.----------You may need a ring gear , bracket and the starter.-------Wiring and the soleniod are easy to find locally.------------Same parts used from 1957 to 1976 on the 22 cubic inch models.

peacemaker48

Cadet
Thank you Racerone , If they were made for for 19 years the parts to convert should be available. I'm still not sure if it's worth the effort. Tnx agn.....

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Does your motor have a ring gear on the flywheel already? Some did, even non electric start. If so, you are half way there!

Then all you need is the bracket, and starter. You wont have the plug in your lower front pan for the wiring harness, so what I would do is simply hard wire it in to save some cost. The wiring harnesses are getting harder to find, you can get them new but not cheap.

I have a couple '57 18hp electric start evinrudes, but don't have a spare starter for one sorry. you could place a wanted ad at aomci.org, a local member to you might be able to help out.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Nice looking motor. I've converted two or three '57 18s -- believe it was '57 and '58 parts in each case. The last donor motor was typical -- '58 factory electric with issues. This was from the boneyard at a local marina.

Need an electric start flywheel, starter and bracket. I use an outdoor electrical box for a transom box (starter solenoid), and use a starter button at the box. I operate the choke manually (factory elec. start has a choke solenoid). Looks like it belongs, and operates well.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 22 cubic inch family of motors ---18 / 20 / 25 hp will be running for many years to come !-----The term " they do not build them like that anymore " applies to these motors.-----Easy to repair.---easy to find parts for too.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
While most of the preceding comments are correct, there are a couple of things that might interest you. 1st, it is my observation that there are a lot more people looking for those starters and brackets than were ever made in the first place. So unless you find a "good ol boy" that will give you one, be prepared to pay more than you might expect. 2nd, be aware that while the early motors may look the same, the 6 volt starter and bracket are not the same as the 12 volt unit. In other words, you can't put a 12 volt starter in a 6 volt bracket. 3rd, the brackets are a direct replacement from 1957-59 18hp motors, but look out if you are getting one from a newer motor. Make sure it has the mount for the flip-up metal hood, because they went to fiberglass hoods after that.