Evinrude 6hp losing power under load

Kaky11

Recruit
Hello , I would like to ask for help. My Evinrude sn:E6RLEOD 1995 6hp is losing power under load. When trolling with about half throttle engine will start shaking , feels like running on one cylinder it keeps running but it has no power , when I put it out of gear it runs or rather sounds fine. When this problem happen and I would open throttle more engine will die at WOT. This would happen in around first 30 minutes , problem sometimes goes away after 30 minutes or 10 minutes and comes back. Engine would start anytime no problem.
Step taken so far: I tested pressure in cylinders - no problem there , cleaned and rebuilt carb twice , checked fuel filter all clean , fresh fuel mixed 50:1, new spark plugs and yes I always make sure pressure relieve valve is open on my tank :) I somehow feel like it is ignition problem but not sure where to start. Worst problem is that this power loss will happen only when I am fishing and I am unable to troubleshoot since I don't have good access to engine and I don't want my hands get gas smell, I had my kicker in barrel at home running for 3 hours three times with no problem :( Any thoughts? I am going to remove flywheel tomorrow and start looking into ignition part but not sure where to look first. Thank you for help. Rob

Last edited:

raczekp1

Lieutenant
if you are sure that carb is cleaned and no craks on upper plastic carb top so in my opinion can be:
1.powerpack failure
2. head surface is wraped( needs to be resurfaced at auto store, and new head gasket)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Run with a timing light hooked up to see if you have ignition issues.when motor acts up.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
yeah, I would do what racerone states. See where and if you are losing spark. A timing light will show this, or inline neon spark testers, however they could be hard to see in the daylight while on the water.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
If I am reading correctly, this happens ONLY when trolling.
In that case BEFORE following Racerone's suggestion, maybe try one thing, and only because it is quick and easy.

Make sure that the plugs are gapped to a FULL .0.035". If they already are...open the gap another 5 thou.
This will help avoid the low speed fouling that may be happening.

If it happens at any speed, or the gap adjustment does not solve the problem, then do exactly what Racerone suggests. :)

Also, make sure the plugs are correct for that motor. I've had this problem with NGK plugs.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
could be a fuel pump issue. Kits maybe $15 or so, or replacement pump if preferred. If a pump problem, it's usually the diaphragm.

I have an old timing light that works well for those drop cylinder tests at the point it's acting up, as described (bright flash is easy to see). If you have one stashed away somewhere and run with a battery for fish finders, can hook to that. Won't catch a plug issue (fouled or badly gapped, for example), or a wonky wire to plug connection. Wouldn't hurt to reattach the spring connectors in the boots at both plug ends.

Kaky11

Recruit
Thank you all for valuable suggestions! I did not explain that this outboard is my kicker for trolling, I also have main outboard. Halibut season is here on west coast so kicker is needed only to catch a bait and as a backup, that gives me some time for repair. Unfortunately I can go out only once a week and if weather permits. So my plan so far is:

1. Check gaps on plugs. They are new and pre-gapped Champions as per engine manual, but Tim you may be right because all this started early summer when trolling for springs - dead slow. But in fall going after coho, trolling speeds are much higher and it was still doing it. I will double check that and set to 0.04"

2. Fuel pump - good point there and so if re-kit cost is this low it is no brainer, so I plan to work on pump.

3. New power pack. This is bit costly but won't hurt , also I see cracks on jelly side of coil (one side of coil has jelly like feel) so I will replace coil as well. I see big cracks on coils of my main outboard (Evinrude 90 2 stroke) and this engine has no issue so I believe those cracks are cosmetics only.

4. I will get timing light for further troubleshooting.

I also noticed that wires coming out from block under flywheel are moving quiet a bit when I move throttle so it may be after all these years that one of them would break? I go out in very cold weather sometimes. Also black shrink tube on these wires is cracked on many places , but wires look fine. I will strip that shrink tube and check wires. I will leave that flywheel alone for now as I am not mechanic by any means and I don't have service manual to know how to setup timing. No problem for me to do basic maintenance and troubleshooting tho.
Thank you again for your help , I will update this topic as soon as I am done with all above and out on water. Wish me luck :)