1969 115hp starflite

Jrwoodchuck7

Recruit
Just bought a 1969 glastron with a 115 hp evinrude starflite, tried to get it started and noticed propeller was moving. Has the selectric on it, started pushing buttons and nothing was happening. Figured out that there is two wires going under motor and into housing, one of wires is broken. How do I get in there and repair this problem.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Motor is in forward gear when it is not turning.---------------Motor needs oil pressure from a pump in order to shift.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
What racer said, motor has to be running, or at least cranking in order to shift out of forward. But it should shift at cranking speed. You say a wire is broken. Is it a green one--actually black with a green end? That is the neutral wire, and no it won't go into neutral if it is broken. Or reverse, for that matter.

Lower unit also has to be full of oil to shift. The gear oil doubles as hydraulic fluid.

Jrwoodchuck7

Recruit
Thanks for the info, Still need to figure out how to get to the wire and repair it, do I access it from the top or bottom? Can't tell the color, it's all pretty faded. Traced it from the selectric.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You need to install a new impeller as the motor is new to you.-----So remove the lower unit to inspect / repair the wiring for the shift.-----To test the shifting you hook 12 volts negative to the housing.----12 volts positive to green.---Now turn the driveshaft and unit should shift to nuetral after about one turn.---Hook up both wires and unit should go to reverse after about 2 turns.----They do for me.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Get a repair manual. It should show wiring diagrams. Another source for part diagrams is boats...... dot.....net Look up the model of your motor and go from there.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
And don't forget that when you need to order parts, do so right here on iboats.