9.9hp 4 stroke

roehrle

Cadet
I had to replaced my fuel pump. I thought this time I would get the replacement parts instead of buying a new pump.
When I took the pump apart the two check valves were out of there housing.Not sure of why they came out I decided to go back to a new pump. Now 5 years later the pump is acting up so I was going to order a new pump (435352). To my dismay I found out that they no longer are making this pump. I still had the repair kit (435070) that I was going to use in 2009 that hadn't been open. I took out the pump and once again the check valves fell out of their housing. This time I had to try and replace the check valves which I did. Once replaced the motor ran for 16 minutes at 2500RPM and stalled. I pumped the bulb and it ran for approximately the same time before stopping.
Here are my questions;
I think that the check valves didn't stay in their housing and the motor was running on the gas that was pumped by the bulb..??? I think this is a possibility that gas can get still get to the carb with the check valves popped ??
Anybody know what would cause the check valves to pop ?? I had 3 other old pumps that I had saved and when I took them apart the valves stayed in their housing. I can still run the motor by pumping the bulb every 15 minute but why should I?
Anybody know if there is a replacement available for the 435352 ?? Any thoughts on why the check valves popped on me two times??

Why did Evinrude stop making this fuel pump and is there a replacement on the open market ??

Tags: None

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many parts for those motors are NLA.------Just the way things are done today.---Yet many parts for 1950's amd 1960's models are available.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
What year is it. Suzuki made these small motors for a while, so you may be able to match something up. Or, just get a fuel pump off something else, even a lawnmower, they all work in the same way.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
15/16 minutes seems like quite a while before noting a fuel pump failure, and 2400 rpms seems high for routine testing. Possible there is something else going on? Possibly an air leak (cracked hose or similar), or conceivably an overheating issue. Compression good?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I believe these pumps are driven by a cam on the camshaft.--Post pictures of these valves and where they are popping out.