1990 Evinrude 150 hp V6

bcook204

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, I have a 1990 Evinrude 150 hp V6 outboard. Could someone tell me if this motor charges the battery that starts it? And if so, do I still need to hook it up to my onboard charger. I'm new to this . Thanks

Bosunsmate

Admiral
It should do so long as the charging systems working.
The motor has a stator coil circuit which makes the voltage and this is then converted to dc at the rectifier which feeds back into your battery. The ignition system runs off different coils.
Im not sure what your onboard charger is or how that is even powered.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If you mean "onboard charger" as an automatic plug in charger that is used when the boat is at home, then yes, connecting it would be the correct thing to do.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
On-board chargers are popular with the fishing owners, as the charger is typically used to charge the trolling motor batteries in the bow of the boat. These chargers are usually built-in and are extremely handy for maintaining those batteries. These motors may be either 12 or 24 volt, requiring both batteries to be charged. Not all fishermen connect the engine's start battery to an on-board charger. Some do, some don't. If your boating habits call for the boat to travel longer distances, the engine's charging system will usually maintain the battery charge without any additional on-board charging required. If you run a lot of electronics off the engine's start battery and don't travel much distance on the 150 engine, it's possible that the engine may not maintain the charge on the cranking battery at the optimal level. In that case, you should consider an on-board charger for the start battery. The 150 engines of this year had two different charging systems. The base 150 had a 10 amp battery charging system. If the engine was the XP150 (model # 150S) it would have had the high output 35 amp charging system. This 35 amp charging system puts out a lot of current. So, depending on which 150 model you have will also be part of the decision on whether you need an on-board charger or not.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
The on-board (plugs into the house) charger will improve your battery's life if you leave the boat parked for months at a time (winter)

All batteries have a self discharge rate. then there's the potential for small loads still being on the battery with the boat just sitting. For example if you installed a modern radio it requires a small amount of current to maintain its electronic memory. Some modern cars have enough similar loads that failing to drive for a week is enough to drain the battery below where you can start the car.

bcook204

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks everybody, I have an onboard charger that charges three batteries. Two are for electronics and trolling motor. The other is dedicated to engine. I think I'll keep it connected to the charger.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The 3 bank chargers are expensive. A nice addition to the boat. Certainly won't hurt the start battery.