1991 Evinrude 88 spl overheating deflector replacement

Clyde Jones

Seaman Apprentice
thanks! I'm hoping it is enough

and yes i will re-torque, that's a good idea. i still want to do a compression check as well

Clyde Jones

Seaman Apprentice
Success!!!! got everything installed today and temp gunned the heads. they went up to 200 for a second then the thermostats must have opened up or something because they dropped down to 130-140 and stayed there. super stoked!!

although... my starter stayed on after i let go of the key on the first crank.. the motor was not running/turning but the starter was spinning at the resting position.. is this something common to happen? ...I disconnected the battery to stop it from happening and it hasn't happened since... maybe its no big deal...?

Attachments

• photo 1 (2).JPG
    photo 1 (2).JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo 2 (2).JPG
    photo 2 (2).JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 2

trelos67

Seaman Apprentice
Well done bloke bloody good job. Maybe the bedix spring had some $hit under it, good spray with WD 40 and your away.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
I've had the starter continue to run on after the key swtich was turned from "start" back to "run." Turned out the starter solenoid was stuck in the "on" postion. This will sometimes happen on an old solenoid when the internal tips get burned over many years of cranking. You can't see the problem, as it's internal to the sealed solenoid. Replacing it should solve your problem.