1996 225hp johnson vro fuel pump. going to 4wire from 3wire

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
hi.

motor is a 1996 johnson 225hp and needs a fuel pump.
in an older post it states:

"
5007423 is a "kit" and 5004554 is the pump itself. This kit is used when replacing a 3 wire pump to adapt it to a 4 wire system. (the pump itself, 5004554, is a 4 wire pump)."

so, my friend has ordered a fuel pump which he cannot return (2 of them actaually). I do not have the part number(s) of his order.

what he ended up with is the fuel pump, with 4wire plug. but no oposite 4wire connector to update his existing 3wire to 4wire. (I assume he did not buy the kit w adaptor)

so the question. we are having a hard time finding a part# for just the 4wire connector (or harness I suppose) by itself.

does anyone know if that can be ordered alone?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
All it is is a simple amphenol connector that has 4 inputs instead of 3. What you can do is order this plug
0512749, and a few of these connectors 0581656 and simply make the jumper.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
thanks ill check out those plugs. sounds like that should do it

clanton. it might be a 1994, I forget. eitherway he was unable to identify the exact model by the reccomended methods. id plates removed and mount was painted. He just got the boat and motor last year.

im going to swing by and see if I can help identify it

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
Hi,
just getting to this repair now.
Can someone please advise where the new purple wire from the fuel pump should go to?

its for power when ignition is on, correct? Would it be best to splice in to the puple on the harness?

Or somewhere else on the motor would be cleaner install?

Thanks

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
One other question,
the vro pump is still hooked up and presumed working, I had read you can run a 50:1 mix of gas at first, before you know for sure the vro is working, is this ok? It wont present a scenario with to much oil by way of the premix and the vro input simultaneously?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Evinrude recommends running 100-1 mix. What I do is buy Amsoil that you can pre-mix at 100-1 and run that for the 1st tank or 2. You can run 50-1 if you want won't hurt make a mark on the oil tank so you know if the level drops.

Fed

Commander
100:1 in addition to the VRO is for a new engine break in period, 50:1 is for testing VRO oil usage.
VRO plus premix at 50:1 won't hurt it at all.

I stuck a bit of tape on the outside of the tank that I can move up or down & check the usage after every time out.