J225TXEDE 1996 Locked Up Last Fall. Need Some Advice.

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I knew it was only a matter of time with the hole in the side of the engine block that it was going to completely fail. It did. Even though I had it patched over and sealed up it finally bought the barn.. Minus a few smashed spark plugs, everything else on the engine is in good condition. Where can I get a re-manned short block that I can swap out complete with pistons/crankshaft and all the works. I want to transfer my heads and all that and trash the old block.

Is this cost effective and a good idea?
Where can I get my hands on a rebuilt/complete short-block?

Thanks is advance for all you guys do!!

The engine wont turn more than 1/4 of a turn in either direction, I know she's blown..

sutor623

Rear Admiral
This place has some for sale, the site may be reputable, but I don't know anything about them.

http://www.boatmotors.com/motorparts...ar=1996&hp=225

This site is a GREAT resource for remanufactured powerheads. They are getting them from OBR. I have and OBR reman and couldnt be happier with it. They put in ALL new bearings, rings, pistons etc. The only things that they re use are the rods, crank and block if it is a good core. My block was squeaky clean inside and out and had a nice fresh coat of paint on it.

Last edited:

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Or you can send it in to Hinkle Marine. Bryan is a GREAT guy!! You can see if he can get his hands on a good short block and send him your internals and see what he would charge to do a rebuild.

Just be aware, rebuilds use all the original parts that they can (to keep costs down), remanufactures are all new internals (minus crank and rods). Odds are that a reman will last longer.

64osby

Admiral
You might consider just buying a used motor and part yours out to offset some of the expense.

Or keep yours as a spare parts motor if you can find a match to yours.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You patched a hole in a 2 stroke block hoping it would run again ??

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I sure did.... It ran for over a year almost every weekend both Sat and Sun about 15 miles round trip every time.. When the patches blew off I had to jam whatever I could find (ie. towels, t-shirts, shop rags) to pin it down long enough to get back to the landing..I knew it would bust eventually, and it did...

My whole thing is that I dont't want to change out all of the connections for a new motor if I can rebuild mine at a reasonable price..

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What about a place that sells just the core.. I could find out what is still good in mine and replace what needs to be replace and basically do my own reman on it..

sutor623

Rear Admiral
There is a list of salvage yards in the top secret files in this section of the forum. Do a little site exploring and you'll find it.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
What about a place that sells just the core..

PM me as have a place you can call. Replacement block,fully machined and hot tanked cleaned with water mod and shipping $900

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a local guy in Charleston SC that can get a remanned powerhead for around $3500 with a 1-year warranty. Is that going to be cheaper in the long run than trying to salvage what parts I have and do my own rebuild? If I am only going to save like $300-$500 doing it myself I'd rather pay and get a warranty and just do the powerhead swap and not deal with the headache of rebuilding one myself.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
That's a good price. I used hinkle marine. He is a real good guy and best prices on obr powerhead a I could find. You can order them from iboats too, who also uses obr for their remans. But if you can get it local, I'd say do that. See WHO he is getting the motor from though. Make sure it is a reman and not a rebuilt at that price. Reman will have all new internals except for crank and rods.

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well Hinkle Marine has this one in the link but how do I verify that it will fit a 1996 J225TXEDE? I know the discription covers my year and HP but doesn't say anything about Looper nor does it give a list of compatable engines. Also, I guess that I will not be sending them my core if it has a hole in the side of the block huh??

http://hinklemarine.com/details.php?ID=OM-PL6-14-R &price=3152.70

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Well Hinkle Marine has this one in the link but how do I verify that it will fit a 1996 J225TXEDE? I know the discription covers my year and HP but doesn't say anything about Looper nor does it give a list of compatable engines. Also, I guess that I will not be sending them my core if it has a hole in the side of the block huh??

http://hinklemarine.com/details.php?ID=OM-PL6-14-R &price=3152.70

Call or email Bryan. He will set you straight. 706-473-1952 Bryan@hinklemarine.com

Just a small guy trying to feed his kids. Real good to work with. They will have that motor leaving the warehouse that same day. I got mine 2 days after I ordered it.

Last edited:

cobbcfi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cool guys, thanks... One more question, will they repair a busted block as a core exchange? I assume not.. So what do I do with it?? Sell the heads and guts for what it's worth? If the crank isn't bad it has to be worth it's weight in gold to the right buyer these days.. Not trying to get rich off of spare parts but it can offset the money spent on a remanned powerhead..

Again, thanks for all you guys do!!