Sportwin 10

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks a lot. Ignition is all back together with big, fat, blue spark at 1/4 gap on my tester. A little fuel and we should be good to go. I already went thru the LU, and put new seals in it, along with new pump housing and impeller. I bought a special tool off this site, years ago, from a guy who made them, to drive that old seal out or the new one in, I forget. Getting closer. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
Sounds like an F_R made tool. Drives the old seal out.

Nice job on the motor.

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can we post pics from a IPhone yet, or do we need to use Photobucket?

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Photobucket is down for some reason, I'll get a pic up soon. Let me please verify one more detail with you guys. The metal water inlet screen on the L/U, which way are the holes supposed to face, the little plate can be flipped either way? I just want to make sure it's right, before getting it on the lake, and have her overheat on the maiden voyage. Thanks a lot as always, this is a great place to gain knowledge on keeping these vintage outboards going, without tearing them up in the process. Cheers

AlTn

Commander
leeroy says the scoops faced forward originally, but isn't certain it really matters...if you haven't visited his site....google leeroy's ramblings..omc related articles...he has a portion on the 10 hp. series

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, thanks. I went and looked at his site, lots of good info there also. I turned it around, it's supposed to help cool in reverse from prop thrust. The main inlet for the pump is the screen under the exhaust port. I forgot cleaning that screen out when I did the L/U a few years ago. Learn something new everyday.

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Think I got it figured out now.

Attachments

• photo237075.JPG
    photo237075.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 0

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How's it going guys? I got my fuel pump, and fuel fitting for tiller mount. The issue is, the inlet barb on the bottom of the bowl is smaller then the fuel pump barb. How do you reduce it down? Cheers

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have any of you used the Tygon hose and just stretched it over the bigger nipple? I don't want a fire hazard.

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
I would think 3/16" line would be fine there. Should be able to warm it and get it on the fuel pump barb. What pump do you have?

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Mikuni pump. Is the 3/16 line Tygon or black fuel line. I didn't t think that black fuel line came that small. Thank a lot.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well, 3/16" black fuel line is readily available.----Evinrude dealers / boat shops / TSC stores.

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, thanks a lot. I get some, and get back with you guys when I fire her up.

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Success!! She come to life on the third pull. It was pumping lots of water, the gear case shifted good, and the power head was nice and quiet. I'm going to drain the L/U in the morning and see if there is any color to it. Never could get it to idle down real low, steadily, just have to tinker with it some more, but ran very well over all. Thanks a lot guys.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
May need to get to the carb, but think I would just run it for a while -- may find it will do fine. When warm, adjust the idle needle clockwise (leaner) slightly, then repeat. Should find rpms increase -- throttle it lower at that point, and try for just a touch leaner. If it stalls, back it out richer maybe 1/8 turn. When you get the idle speed you are after, set the plastic screw to hold the setting.

[ed. Did you change out the impeller on the motor? If not, should do that before addit. running. Impellers dry out/set up -- sounds like it's pumping so far, and that's good. Don't want to bust up the old impeller.]

Last edited:

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Oldboat. I have to play with her some more. I rebuilt the L/U, new seals, pump, housing, plate, and new o rings everywhere. Sure is fun playing with these old motors.