Sportwin 10

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, I have a question for you regarding my power head. The engine has set for years. The engine is in great shape and should fire right up after I get a fuel pump for it. I'm wondering if I need to remove the oil feed line from the top to the bottom and make sure it's clear. Is this an issue on these if they sat?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't expect it to get plugged up, but I would expect the rubber hose to be rotted (IF it is a rubber hose). If it is a metal tube, leave it alone.

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks a lot. It's the hard line. So good news, I leave it alone. Just got done timing it, she should run like a sewing machine. It's a 58 model. Thanks again.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 58 models did not come with a fuel pump.---Many were converted to use the single line tank instead of the 2 line pressure tank..

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes sir. I did vac. cap mod on it. Do you guys know where to get the single line fuel connector?

tommarvin

Ensign
Check I boats .com first, if not try Sea-Way.com.
I would spray some fogging oil for 5 seconds each cylinder,spray up towards top, to lube motor turn flywheel by hand before you start the motor.

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks FR. I will need the one that mounts on engine. I found a P/N on a conversion thread for this motor, not positive it's the right one. The P/N given was a (438793). I think it's the right one for the single line conversion.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Look for a 376154 motorside fuel connector. That would be the correct one for that period. However it is obsolete and replaced by 393334, similar but has a non-drip valve for when the hose is disconnected. And over $50 list. I'm not sure what a 438793 is, except it seems to be some kind of a kit.
There are lots of those 376154 connectors out there, but they are getting snapped up by people making conversions. But still, you should be able to find one for around $15.00

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

A 376154 fuel connector

Attachments

• photo69743.jpg
    photo69743.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 0

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Let me run another question by you guys. Does the mark on the brass armature plate line up with the roller on throttle shaft, to open it when it lines up, or does this mark line up with something else? Want to make sure it's synced right. Thanks as always.

64osby

Admiral
The carb plate will start its movement when the line is at the center of the roller, that is when it is timed properly.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Somebody may blow me up, but syncing isn't all that delicate. There's usually some slop in the wheel, and I've spent time making sure the tension was juuuust right to insure the wheel would juuuust begin to turn at the mark. That typically means you have to lay the wheel against the plate just (i.e., juuuust) ahead of the mark, then snug it in place.

But a smidgen before or after is fine. Compression of say, 60 to 90 will work, if top and bottom are reasonably close. Set freshened J4 or 6 plugs at .030, and clean points at .020. Fuel 24:1. Clean carb, needles set appropriately for your particular motor. Try to get close to specs on all these systems and settings, but the motor is pretty forgiving and will give you clues for fixing itself. The Germans call it Gestalt.

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the tips guys. She should be good to go after I get the fuel pump hooked up. I set the points with a VOM, instead of just setting them at .020. I checked the timing after setting them at .020 and both cylinders were firing a little late. The meter takes all the guess work out of it, and gets it timed perfectly. Thanks again guys.

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Little more expert advice please. I read on a thread here somewhere, and the guy was talking about the felts under the flywheel. I looked and I have two little rectangle felts in my points/parts bag. Where do these go, do they oil something or what? Thanks guys.

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found out I do need the felts to lube the timing cam. I tried to find a picture of where they went. I didn't pull any out of it. I looked at a exploded view of the magneto and it shows it, just not the location. Anybody know? Thanks a lot.

AlTn

Commander
yep..they're wicks for oiling the points cam...held on by a clip in the points area....look under the Sticky..Top Secret Files scroll down to Universal Magneto Troubleshooting...first drawing has an arrow pointing to an oiler..this is the felt piece...usually has to be trimmed to size, just needs to touch the cam.. a drop or two of oil on the wick is sufficient

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you AITn. I don't have any clips to hold them under the coils. Guess I put a very small dab of synthetic gear lube on cam, or something else be better?

AlTn

Commander
just a light film should do it,,,just check on rubbing block wear a little more frequently... for the asking price of a new wick clip I wish I had a boxful...or, more to the point, the money a box full would be worth