Evinrude 120etlerc impeller plate looks different-water pump replacement

jimbobcooter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello I am doing my first water pump replacement on my 94 evinrude 120hp etlerc. I am using an evinrude replacement parts and I noticed that the impeller plate is missing s deep grove/stamp in the side closes to the shift rod. Is this ok? Is it a change in design or did I get an incorrect part? Should I worry? Everything else matches up nicely.

Replacement part: Water pump kits, P/N 5001595, 5007972. Pic included: old plate is closest to camera and new plate is sitting on the lower unit.

Also had a o-ring left over but I assume that is due to my 1/2in water tube instead of the 5/8 water tube. Is that correct?

Attachments

• photo236891.jpg
    photo236891.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jimbobcooter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Checked with co. I ordered the part from and they ensured me it is correct for my engine. We are thinking it must be a design change. Any thoughts are appreciated. I am going to hook it up and test it out. Any signs to watch out for besides no indication stream and overheating?

tommarvin

Ensign
Free factory outboard service manuals at www boatinfo.no/lib/library.html click on your make, find your motor, find water pump.
Keyway installed, fins oriented for CW driveshaft, I would review the factory service manual before startup.You can put dish soap, I use a thin coat of marine grease inside of impeller housing, and the top of the metal plate for first start up, I don't know if it maters or not.
Make sure the water tube goes in the water pump fitting. When the water stream gets warm you know the t-stat opened.
Good for you.

jimbobcooter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks tom! That is exactly what I did along with some videos (which left a ton of stuff out) and the installation pamphlet provided with the part. I think some of the best advice I was ever given when I was a young man was to get 2-3 books and do the necessary research before performing any repair. One book.manual will always leave something out, but with 2 or 3 I always seem to have all of the details and pictures needed.

Again THANKS!

jimbobcooter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Tom! Exactly what I did so I am hopeful. Still have to get it back together.

jimbobcooter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Finally, go to take her out for a test drive. Had some trouble getting her started which is not typical. Last time I had her out was about a month ago and I did not have any issues besides her stalling once or twice when first started.

To get her started this time I had to squirt some gas into the carbs after the choke and adding some throttle failed. Once I got it started she ran pretty good a little rough on idle, but over not bad. The water pump performed nicely..nice indication stream and no overheating at all!!!!

During the repair and in order to squirt fuel into the carbs I removed the carb cover (pictured below). Should these screws be tightened all the way? Do the screws have an effect on the fuel/air mixture to the carbs. I wouldn't think so, but there is a sticker that indicates how to adjust the mixture on the cover. Any info on the carb cover and the effect of adjusting the screws would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 20160207_145536_resized.jpg
    20160207_145536_resized.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 0

jimbobcooter

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok so I did some reading and found that it is a air intake silencer/flame arrestor. My worry now is that that I did not notice a air temperature sensor when I removed the silencer. Is there one on a '94 Evinrude E120TLERC?

I only saw 2 small rubber hoses: one that fit loosely into a hole in the top of the housing and another that fit over a male piece at the bottom of the housing. I will take another look this evening and try to get some more pics.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
this may sound crazy but that o-ring goes on the top of the impellar or the bottom. just check, i found out the second time...