225 Johnson Limited Edition v/s 1996 130 Johson

louky

Recruit
OK, this is the first time I've ever posted on any thread/forum. Not really sure how this works. So I am looking into buying my first boat, other than an old johnboat I used to have. I have the opportunity to get a 1996 268FS Stratos with a 1996 Johnson 130 or a 1991 Ranger 397 V with 1991 225 Johnson Limited Edition. I can get them both for basically the same price 4500.00, but I don't have a clue which would be the better value. Sants the engines are the most expensive part of the boat and where most of your money and maintenance goes I'm wondering which in June would be most reliable over the long haul. If anyone has any advice on which boat would be the best as well I'll take anything I can get.The Stratos is basically all stock but in excellent condition with an average hummingbird fishfinder and an onboard charger, new carpet and almost all new seats. The boat actually does look like new.The guy selling the Ranger boat tells me he restores and resells boats so he has put in new carpet, reupholster the seats and gone through the engine. It doesn't have a fishfinder or an onboard charger on it and he says the trolling motor works but it's the original one. I have been doing research on these engines and boats for the last several days but more than anything I've just overwhelmed myself. Any advice I could get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Do you just fish or ski also?? The 225 Ltd is nothing but a stock 225 with special decals and lightweight cowling. If you fish take the ranger , if you fish and ski take the stratos...

louky

Recruit
Thanks for the reply. I'll be fishing most of the time but will be taking the kids and wife out from time to time for tubing etc.... Knowing nothing about boats or motors I'm just hoping to get some advice on which motor may require less maintenance, hold up the longest etc. Are they both pretty comparable engines. Is $4500 about the right price to pay keeping in mind with what they have to offer?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Go for an on the water test in the Stratos. Its 5yrs newer as is its motor.

Its condition condition condition for used boats. Look thru the resto forum

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-repair-and-restoration/boat-restoration-building-and-hull-repair

You'll find many topics about the purchase of boats that were sold as 'newly restored' that werent. Cosmetic coverups show up all the time.

Motors are virtually the same. A 1957 outboard that has seen meticulous maintenance will run forever. An abused and neglected 2015 outboard could grenade tomorrow.

If all factors are the same, which is incredibly unlikely, the 1996 would be my choice if its the 130 is the correctly sized outboard for the boat.

According to the specs
http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Stratos_Boats__268_FS__1996/bp/66b89396

The Stratos is rated for up to a 140hp, so the 130 should do fine.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Boats are hp rated basically based on the length of the boat (also the width.) So your boats are probably quite different in length. The Ranger is probably around 20-21 feet long. the Stratos is probably in the 17' range. Length also affects the person/gear capacity. So the question is, does this length difference have any impact on your purchase decision? The 225 is going to burn more fuel at cruise speed than the 130. Is this any concern?

..... I'll be fishing most of the time but will be taking the kids and wife out from time to time for tubing etc....

The bass boat will be pretty useless for taking the family out, whereas the fish&ski will be adequate for both tasks. While it is certainly possible to take the family tubing etc. on a bass boat the comfort and enjoyment will suffer a lot. And as most of the guys on here will attest to, it pays to make sure that Mama likes the boat.