Starter removal 70 hp johnson

airshot

Rear Admiral
Well I can't give you specific instructions I can say this, on most outboards you have to remove a lot of extra stuff to get to the original problem. I switched over to an I/O some years back with no regrets, much easier to work on. I can only say start removing stuff until you reach the starter.

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

Generic instructions: The first thing is to disconnect the battery! Then disconnect the positive lead from the starter. There should be two mounting bolts for the starter itself. Remove them and remove the starter.

Some pictures would help in case there are any quirks to your particular motor.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I'm having trouble figuring out what tips you could possibly need...

as mentioned above... unhook battery, remove wire and bolts and walk away with the starter in hand.... they don't get much easier than this one.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Disconnect the battery first
Disconnect the cable from the starter
Take off the air box from the carbs you might be able to get the bolt behind the air box without removing it you will have to look
Take off the 2 bolts on the solenoid side
I think it's one bolt on the carb side maybe 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

as indicated above, 4 things to turn lefty-loosy (battery clamp connection, starter positive connection, two starter bolt.

however why are you removing your starter, 99.95% of the time if the starter doesnt spin, its a bad connection. make sure you clean every battery cable connection to the point where you can eat off them.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Nope.----2 bolts one the side and one on the front.-1 nut for the cable too.--Hopefully the original poster will take the starter apart to inspect before handing over the $$$ for a new one.

roffey

Commander
welcome aboard.

as indicated above, 4 things to turn lefty-loosy (battery clamp connection, starter positive connection, two starter bolt.

however why are you removing your starter, 99.95% of the time if the starter doesnt spin, its a bad connection. make sure you clean every battery cable connection to the point where you can eat off them.

maybe that's the problem, left over pizza on the wires. Anchovies make it hard to start and the salt will corrode the connections.