1977 evinrude 9.9...what's needed for 15 conversion

Erics512

Cadet
I have a 9.9 evinrude from 1977 model number 10755A. What is needed to do the 15hp conversion. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Erics512

Cadet
1977 evinrude conversion

Mod EDIT: Combined the 2 identical topics.

Last edited by a moderator:

sutor623

Rear Admiral
I believe the only difference in that particular motor is the carburetor. A few years later they changed the exhaust tube on them also. The carb swap makes a BIG difference too!!

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I theres another recent 9.9 to 15 conversion topic around here somewhere and reed plates from the 15hp were mentioned as necessary to make the conversion.

But I dont recall the model# or year of that 9.9.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
The snarky answer to your question is....get a 15! But it won't hurt to switch out carbs, and you might get a little more speed out of it. And might have some fun at it too. (Look into the reed plates too -- can't speak to that.)

I fooled around with an '83 and '84 9.9 earlier this year, along with a '91. Both the '80s models had what I take to be a 15 carb body to begin with. It's a larger throat (See Leroy's Ramblings on this -- good stuff.) As I recall, there are three different h.s. jets for those carbs -- mine apparently has the middle size, for the Yachtwin model. You would presumably want a 15 carb body with a h.s. jet for the 15. You can buy the jets.

I was more concerned about slow running, as I use them mostly as trolling motors. I found that the carb with the larger throat (and the mid-sized jet) idled down real well -- no l.s. issues. I can't give an apples to apples comparison with h.s. running, unfortunately, but pretty sure you won't lose much on the low end in using the larger carb. Carb and motor have to be functioning right, of course, but that's always the case.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I would leaf through Leroys ramblings. He has all the differences between the 9.9 and the 15 in one of his ramblings.

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/

He is willing to let you use this info for private use only.
As far as I remember ,there are 3 differences. A 15 horse has a larger carburetor throat,The carburetor has a shim that changes the position of the carb a bit and finally there is a difference in the exhaust system. In the end you are just souping up the engine so it will run at 6000 rpm. That is where the extra power comes from.

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
In 1977 the ONLY DIFFERENCE between the 9.9 and 15 is the carb. The other changes were not done until 1980 and later and the main source of the HP was always the carb.

Erics512

Cadet
Thank you for all the replies. So when I'm looking for a 15hp carb should I search for the same year as the motor now? Or do I have a pretty big window of options on where to start my search?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Be aware that the 9.9 & 15hp motors in early years had a lot of problems. The factory came out with several "fixes" for it---most of which did little if any good. One of the fixes was a carburetor replacement. So the dealers installed the new carb and kept the old ones. There is a chance that the used carbs people are finding now are the ones that were removed and replaced under warranty. Just so you know.....

sutor623

Rear Admiral
In 1977 the ONLY DIFFERENCE between the 9.9 and 15 is the carb. The other changes were not done until 1980 and later and the main source of the HP was always the carb.

Yup, leaf plates and exhaust housings are identical on these two motors.

Erics512

Cadet
There are numbers stamped inside where the float is..#32290. The carb has been touched by someone else since the main jet is stripped on the brass. How can I find out if they didn't do a carb swap already? I don't want to order the wrong rebuild kit. Thank you

sutor623

Rear Admiral
The carb rebuild kit is exactly the same for both carburetors, part #0398453. Comes with float too. Cant tell you which carb that is by the number you have given. The throats of the 15's should be a bit larger, and the high speed jet will be bigger. Just because the jet is stripped doesnt mean it was changed. May have happened during a cleaning.

Part # for the 15hp carb is 0388271. May be able to find it on ebay.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^See posts 5 and 6, maybe others. You need to look at the carb throat to determine whether it is a 9.9 or a 15: http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Johnson 9.9_15.htm Look closely at the side by side pictures of the carb from the front, and compare it to yours. If you have one with the larger throat, it is a 15 carb body. Do that first. (Post a pic of your carb if you want [front view)] tight enough shot to see straight in.)

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You can use the carb from 1974-1987 do not use the carbs with the plastic top . You will need to use all the linkages from your 77 motor.