1971 evinrude Lark 50 HP re-assembly need help

jfl1960

Seaman
OK as stated I need some help putting my Lark back together, I had to remove the inner and outer exhaust covers to repair a bad temp switch, all is well now and I am ready to re-assemble the motor however I noticed there are three different length bolts to deal with and absolutely no indication which goes where, I know I should have labeled them but figured the manual I have would have showed me the proper length and location unfortunately I cannot find anything other than torque specs for these bolts, no recommended sequence or bolt length references, hoping someone can help. I will post some pics tomorrow to clarify my issue.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
My memory is good, but not that good. However the parts book is that good. It says there are 15 bolts in the exhaust cover---all the same length. BTW, too bad you did all that work. There was a service bulletin saying to rewire the choke and not use that temp switch.

jfl1960

Seaman
Thanks for replying so quickly, I have checked the parts listings online and also found only one bolt listing for these covers, part number 0314951 and identified as "Screw, Exhaust Cover" and nothing else. the problem is I have 3 different length bolts that I have removed from the exhaust covers, I put them in Ziploc bags and labeled then "Exhaust Cover Bolts" so I know they are for this location, most likely someone before me did a similar job and didn't reinstall the correct length bolts into all the holes. Does your parts list give any size info for the bolts as listed in your parts list??

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Nope, probably the same parts list you are looking at. I figure you probably are correct, somebody has been there before you.

jfl1960

Seaman
These bolts all have "Rockford A" stamped on their heads, can anyone explain that designation in relationship to standard bolt grading either metric or SAE, also are these supposed to be stainless?? I thought they were but they stick to a magnet. The per bolt cost from evinrude dealer is around $7.00, I was going to go to my local industrial supply store and just buy off the shelf at approx $1.50 per bolt depending on the specs.

Last edited:

jfl1960

Seaman
My memory is good, but not that good. However the parts book is that good. It says there are 15 bolts in the exhaust cover---all the same length. BTW, too bad you did all that work. There was a service bulletin saying to rewire the choke and not use that temp switch.

Any chance of getting a copy of that service bulletin before I put this back together.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Sorry, I don't have the actual document. But the deal was that as originally designed, the choke solenoid had dual windings. The first winding was activated by the thermal switch, and held the choke partially closed during the warm-up period. Once warmed up, the choke opened completely for normal operation. The second winding was activated by the driver at the controls. It, combined with the thermal winding slams the choke fully closed for cold starting.

All well and good, except under certain conditions the thermal switch would partially apply the choke when it wasn't really needed, causing flooding and poor running for awhile.

The fix was to connect BOTH choke solenoid windings so the driver had complete control. It choked only when the drivers said to choke. The thermal switch was no longer used. Attaching the wiring diagram.

Attachments

• photo235030.jpg
    photo235030.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 0

jfl1960

Seaman
Wow that would have saved me a lot of headaches and actually cured my problem, any idea where I could get copies or even a list of the service bulletins, I have a service manual but not the bulletins.

So basically I could have cut both wires from the thermal switch and just shunted the purple/yellow from the solenoid to the "From Choke Switch" junction, well there goes a brand new thermal switch, may as well do the mod now and save a headache later right.

Last edited:

jfl1960

Seaman
OK thanks and if I find some info on more bulletins I will post back here, thanks for the input.