what parts might i need..1997 175 hp

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I fired up my frankenson motor this past weekend.i put a 175 fast strike power head on a 175 ocean runner midsection...all went well, except I have a fuel leak coming from between the manifold and the carb on the port side.it is significant, so I am ordering the gaskets. What might I also need to replace when I do this R&R?

id hate to wait a week for parts then find I need something else and have to wait another week for those ....I don't want to rebuild the carbs...id prefer to run the motor for a while to see how everything is...should I just order new intake to manifold gaskets as well??? since the bolts sandwhich all that stuff together?? any other small parts that is prudent to replace that is prone to issues..while I am there??

thanks

also...my throttle cable gives me all the throttle I need in forward, but very little throttle in reverse... I thought I set it at a nice sweet spot when I installed it...I haven't looked since I found out. I installed some used cables that were free moving, and some new one are on the way...but this is just an adjustment at the motor...correct. I noticed on the controls there are several places you can connect the cable ends to!!

bob

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A fuel leak in the area described is either a flooding carb or a bad primer, likely the former. A carb kit should have new gaskets, but you also need a new float, inlet needle and seat, if the carb is flooding. Obviously use the serial/model number of the powerhead to source these.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
A fuel leak in the area described is either a flooding carb or a bad primer, likely the former. A carb kit should have new gaskets, but you also need a new float, inlet needle and seat, if the carb is flooding. Obviously use the serial/model number of the powerhead to source these.

the leak is between the two parts in this nook

2ln7fxh.jpg

bob

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, the two sources of fuel to supply the leak are the float bowl and the primer system. Pull off the primer bulb and run the motor to see if that is the cause. If not, it is likely the carb is flooding.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, I meant, pull the primer hose off the throttle body and see if it is the source of the fuel to feed the flooding.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Sorry, I meant, pull the primer hose off the throttle body and see if it is the source of the fuel to feed the flooding.

for gas to get OUTSIDE its designed environment.... there has to be a bad gasket.... or seal.... or split hose... where its coming out of, says that the gas that is flowing from the carb body through to the manifold is bypassing the carb gasket........I could try your suggestion, but ill wait till I get the gasket replaced..

thanks

bob

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Bob, remember, the carb bowl gasket is designed to keep the fuel from splashing out of the bowl. It is not designed to keep the carb from overflowing. Preventing carb overflow is the job of the inlet needle and seat plus the float and the correct float height.

If gas is getting into the throttle body, it is not the gasket's fault. Replace the gasket if you want, but it is not the cause....

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Bob, remember, the carb bowl gasket is designed to keep the fuel from splashing out of the bowl. It is not designed to keep the carb from overflowing. Preventing carb overflow is the job of the inlet needle and seat plus the float and the correct float height.

If gas is getting into the throttle body, it is not the gasket's fault. Replace the gasket if you want, but it is not the cause....

the leak doesn't appear to be between the bowl and the carb. it looks like its between the carb body and the manifold. I am thinking the leak is happening in the passage the fuel takes when it leaves the carb body...the leak is happening between the plastic carb body and the aluminum manifold.. I wouldn't think the bowl is the culprit , that this point.. even if the float wasn't set properly...gas should not be flowing onto the outside of the side or top of the carb.

I am thinking just the carb-manifold gasket is needed, and when it comes in, ill replace and report back...

EDIT: on second thought it might be that the fuel that is entering into the manifold is leaking at the point the fuel goes INTO the CARB...or at least of of one of those passages it flows through on its way to the bowl!

bob

Last edited:

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Pull the carb, check that the bowl float needle is seating by blowing air through when the carb is upside down, and change that gasket. IMO, if you are pulling the carb to change the gasket, may as well inspect and clean it. You may also have a crack in the carb (Sure hope not!!!!!!!!!!!)

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
well I got the parts in and today after work I pulled the middle carb off and the gasket looked fine....all the hoses looked good, no cuts or cracks... so I just put the new gasket on and bolted the carb back up to see if it would stop the leak....sure enough I fired up the motor and let it idle for 20 minutes and no leak at all....that was the problem!!!! that carb gasket just wasn't sealing.....I am happy...I bought a few seals...but I don't want to start taking stuff apart right now...because I want to use the boat right away!!!

bob

tphoyt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like when you pulled your carb you dislodged your stuck needle.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Sounds like when you pulled your carb you dislodged your stuck needle.

ill reiterate,,gas was flowing down the OUTSIDE of the carbs.. how does a stuck needle allow gas to get outside the carb????? stuck floats open or closed just prevents gas flow or allows too much and floods the motor....it doesn't leak down the outside of the carbs into the lower motor cover!!!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Bob, If the inlet needle wasn't stuck, there would have been zero gas to leak out of the carb. The carb bowl gasket keeps the gasoline from leaking out, but only if the float maintains the correct level of fuel in the bowl. if the float sticks, the carb will overflow, allowing the fuel to leak out the barrel into the cowling, into the throttle body, or outside the carb body.

Your gasket may have been bad, but that was not the source of the leaking fuel.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
Bob, If the inlet needle wasn't stuck, there would have been zero gas to leak out of the carb. The carb bowl gasket keeps the gasoline from leaking out, but only if the float maintains the correct level of fuel in the bowl. if the float sticks, the carb will overflow, allowing the fuel to leak out the barrel into the cowling, into the throttle body, or outside the carb body.

Your gasket may have been bad, but that was not the source of the leaking fuel.

the gas was leaking out of the carb an inch or more above the bowl!!! it was leaking out between the carb body and the intake manifold...not the carb bowl!

I am totally baffled how gas can leak out the edge of the carb body and you guys think it is something other than a gasket....

the symptoms of the stuck float needle and the symptoms of a needle that wont seat are NOT a leak between the carb and the manifold to the best of my knowledge.....

I believe this gas that was leaking was fuel that was about to enter the carb.

bob