1960 40hp Evinrude Mystery

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The diaphragm controls choke imediately after startup.---The bimetallic spring is controlled by warm / hot water and takes a little longer to come in.-----The hot water choke system was replaced by a quicker hot air system.-----It was suggested for you to look at the diaphragm by experienced folks.---Perhaps it is or is not a problem.----Up to you to check it.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
IN "automatic" setting it does exactly as you say- it is closed and sort of flutteres as the engine is cranked. The hoses are good and in place. Would choke still open when warm, which it does, with a ruptured diaphragm?

You already have the answer to your question in your earlier post. Fluttering when cranking is normal, my dads 1963 40hp did. Always started too!

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
You already have the answer to your question in your earlier post. Fluttering when cranking is normal, my dads 1963 40hp did. Always started too!

Thanks for the info. So when the choke flutters when set in automatic and choke is on-that is normal and exactly what happens- but it will not start after many attempts. Then I un choke and almost immediately she starts. After a few minutes, (usually when the thermostat opens and she starts spitting water) I can move the choke from manually in the un choked position to the "automatic" position and she runs fine. That is after I read the manual on how to synchronize and adjust my low and high speed carb needles after I rebuilt the carb.

​Could my low speed needle adjustment be incorrect and flooding with fuel when choked? float too high or low? has to be a fuel issue-but only when choked. Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks,
​Dale