Anti freeze necessary for winterize?

jimmyebay

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Got a 1987 johnson 175. Seasons over here in iowa. I have put motor straight up and down to drain water. Is it necessary to pump rv antifreeze in motor or waist of time and effort?! Thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
All the water drains out, so all the antifreeze will do the same thing, kind of a waste of time.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
Also drain the gearcase o?l in case you have water in the gearcase. refill with fesh o?l otherwise the gearcase ,may crack due to freezin

if you do find water you will need to reseal the gearcase at some point in time sooner the better :)

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Once the engine is drained, you can rotate the flywheel by hand 1 more rpm. You will see a little additional water come out of the lower unit. This is the water that's trapped inside the impeller housing. It's normally not a freezing issue/problem during the winter: this is not required- as the water can expand against the rubber impeller blades.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I never used to. But I heard of one freezing once. Wish I knew why exactly. I still don't to mine but with customers, we do. Them new e-tecs, and mercury 4 strokes could possibly hold some water? till I see a flow chart for them I would run a gallon through or so. But that's just me.....

fhhuber

Lieutenant
You have to store the motor in the vertical RUNNING position for a few days for all the water to get out. If you leave it at the angle for driving down the road there is still water in it.

Jack up the trailer and put it on jackstands/blocks if necessary to lower the engine. (put a similar block under the tongue jack if you had to do that) Lower the engine to the limit and watch the water come out...