1998 Rude 200 Cyl Sleeves turned? Pics

rothfm

Ensign
Working on my project 200hp recently bought for a possible rebuild.

Attaching a few pics...My problem Cylinderl tore up a piston due to a loose/broken rod-cap bolt. I took the block apart today. I was initially thinking of reworking this one Hole as the others SO FAR, looked ok........Howerever on the bad cylinder, I noticed The Sleeve ports are not aligned very good with the casting. And I noticed the hole just below this, same bank...It too appears to have quite a "offset" of Sleeve cuttouts compared to the matching cuttouts in the casting.

The other 4 Cylinders appear to be lined up almost spot-on. I have no idea what prior work was done on this engine. Whats the Scoop? Do these have to be aligned? Or better question why do I have only 2 that are not? including my torn up hole.

First pic is example where the alignment is good...The rest of the pics are the blown hole, and the one below it.

IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_1563.JPG
IMG_1568.JPG
IMG_15612.JPG
IMG_1567.JPG

rothfm

Ensign
I typically get into the v4's..this is my first V6, the sleeves are a tad different from what I"m used to seeing.

Thanks

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Yep they are turned.... :(. Make sure you do the water cooling update also..

rothfm

Ensign
Thanks Fatzbullet...thought so. Very wierd. Well, now two holes to do!

On another post you mentioned this cooling update...is there a post that spells out directions for this somewhere?

thanks

Mark

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
They need to be removed and inspected/miked and reinstalled with locking compound or larger sleeve thickness. I have heard of people heating block and turning sleeve but once turned it will turn again in my book as I only like to do a process once. Also replace all pistons even if they look fine due to locating pin migration and the cooling mod helps prevent this.The cooling update is a cooling mod to block that makes water circulate like the ficht motors.A hole is enlarged in main cavity under rectifier and deflectors installed in top of cylinders..

rothfm

Ensign
First impression was the rod cap bolt snapped...But certainly turned sleeves would catch and be 'not good'. Do either of you guys ( FAZ or EMD) have a pic or specific directions for this cooling mod?

Its cleaned and ready to take down to the marine machine shop for further inspection, its future depends on their pricing. I'll do everything else.