Johnson 1999 60hp trim tilt problem

samzee

Cadet
My motor has been acting up a bit. The other day the motor got stuck down on the water. When pushing the trim/tilt both on the motor and throttle, it makes noise as if it should be moving up and down, but nothing happens. After 10-15 mins it started working again. I left it down for the remainder of the day until I put the boat back on the trailer. It moved up fine but once trailered, the same thing happened and it wouldn't go back down. Sure enough 15 mins later it worked fine. Now that it's home, it works fine but I'm worried about getting stuck out on the water if it fails for longer than a few mins.

Any idea as to what could cause this? It gets power but I swapped relays just in case and that didn't make any difference

samzee

Cadet
The hydraulic fluid or is the oil different. I haven't emptied any but to replace it, I have to drain and replace through the same cap. When adding new fluid, the motor needs to be moved up and down to fill the reservoir.

Disclosure: my choice of words may not be correct because I'm far from a mechanic and relatively new to outboards. The info I posted is my interpretation of what I have read online which could be completely wrong so I apologize for that