cant pull powerhead

david4001

Cadet
ihave a johnson 9.9, 1983. i am trying to pull the powerhead. lower unit is off. i have removed 6 bolts and 3 motor mounts, starter, carb, thottle linkage. i have it separated a quarter inch from the exhaust housing. can turn it a little side to side. have not removed shift linkage as this seems to be in the pivot tube and not connected to the powerhead in any way. cant get it to come up and out any more. please help?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You have to remove a pivot bolt on the shift linkage.---Starboard side of the block.

david4001

Cadet
there is no part of the shift linkage attached to the block. i have seen these parts in diagrams, they are missing on mine. just the shift lever connected to the rod in the pivot tube. shifted fine without them. i saw on leeroys that there is a part ofthe lower crank seal that is inserted into the exhaust housing that can stick. still asking for help/input. thanks racerone.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
will try a couple of suggestions, and maybe hit on something:

There is a seal that goes between the inner and outer exhaust housing, down at the bottom of the inner housing. That could be stuck (inner exhaust housing lifts out with the powerhead, as you probably know). The kill switch wires lead back from the switch in the cowling and would need to be disconnected. The vertical control shaft (throttle) might be hanging up. There is a ground strap that goes to the screw for the rear mount (the slotted grommet) -- presumably disconnected if the screw and mount was removed.

Given how tight the powerhead remains, that pivot screw to the shift lever on the powerhead would probably be the most likely (earlier post) -- but apparently not there. Second to that, would think maybe the seal between inner and outer exhaust housing. I think you could reach that from underneath and maybe prod it a little if it's stuck.

Think six screws is right. Not sure about those rubber grommets. Two in the rear, one on the starboard side -- possible a fourth in front(?) Not sure about that lower crank seal, but sounds plausible. Maybe rocking the powerhead if you have enough separation.

But maybe in the meantime, it suddenly lifted off....

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
The shift linkage should have been mounted to the powerhead but if yours is not, then it is not.

In leeroys rambles about powerhead removal, he shows a picture of the front of the motor where one needs to get a thin slotted screwdriver in there to wedge up the powerhead. You will need to get something in those two spots to wedge it up or it will never come up. I also whack the powerhead by placing a piece of wood on it and giving it a good whack with a hammer, while wedging it up. Until that seal breaks it will always feel like you missed a screw.

david4001

Cadet
I have itseparated a half inch now. last night sprayed blaster on that part that goes into the leg. leeroy calls this an extension and says another term is crankshaft head. I will soon go out and try again. will let you all know

david4001

Cadet
okgot it off. made penetrating oil as leroy says, half each of acetone and transmission fluid. cut some wood to take up the slack for my pry bars. it popped free. i have been working with outboards for less than a year, there is a lot to learn. this 9.9 has serious water circulation problems, that is why i had to take it apart. new water pump didnt fix it. but now its out where hopefully i can deal with it. want to thank those who responded and especially want to thank leroy.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Be sure to check the rubber grommet that holds the water input line in place on the exhaust housing. They leak with age and can Cause serious water flow issues. Now that the powehead is off its easy to get to.