Changing lower end gear oil

hatcheb

Cadet
Hey..... I changed my gear oil in my 1992 Johnson outboard and I noticed as I was pumping new oil in it there was a ton of air/bubbles flowing into it by looking at the tube connected to it. Will this hurt the the bottom end if I leave it for the winter, it goes extremely below freezing where I am and I want to make sure nothing will freeze and crack....when I started to pour out the top hole there were lots of air bubbles, i let it pour out a bit to see if it would stop however it did not.

Thanks!!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
In the first place, air will not harm it except for the fact that air takes up space that is supposed to be filled with oil. It will not freeze. Also, air rises to the top, so of course it comes out the upper plug hole, and keeps coming out if you keep pumping it in there. If you are picking up air into the pump, there must be a leak somewhere n the hose, or the hose pickup end is not submerged in oil (bottle almost empty??)

hatcheb

Cadet
Great Thanks Guys!, I will buy a new pump in the spring and refill to eliminate some of the air. I suspect there is a leak as air was pumping in it right from the start you could see it through the tube.

Thanks!!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Pump the gear oil pump handle slowly and evenly to eliminate most/all of the bubbles. After she is about full, let her sit a couple of minutes for the air to bleed out. Now pump her until you get solid gear oil, w/o bubbles. Install plugs and gaskets and tighten with an impact driver.